Tharoor ‘in contention’ for Congress ticket from KeralaMarch 6th, 2009 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 6 (IANS) State Congress president Ramesh Chennithala Friday said former UN under-secretary general Shashi Tharoor’s name could figure during the discussions to shortlist candidates from Kerala for the coming Lok Sabha polls.
“He has expressed his willingness to contest and now this will be discussed by the nine-member sub committee of our party led by party general secretary Mohsina Kidwai,” Chennithala told reporters here.
He also hinted that the final list may contain some “non-political personalities”.
When asked how the Congress can consider Tharoor when he was highly critical of the party in one of his books, Chennithala shot back: “These things do not matter because then he had nothing to do with the Congress party.”
On Thursday, former chief minister Oommen Chandy and Chennithala met Congress legislators and other senior party leaders on a one-to-one basis.
“The results of the meetings would be communicated to the sub committee which will then prepare the list and forward it to the central screening committee. We expect that by the 15th of this month (March) we will announce the list of candidates,” said Chennithala.
Meanwhile, Tharoor’s posters have surfaced in his home town Palakkad but it remains to be seen how the rank and file of the Congress party would take his candidature.
“In the interest of the party workers, it would be best if people like Tharoor are given a Rajya Sabha ticket, instead of a Lok Sabha seat. All these years, we have sweated for the party and he had a good life abroad, and now we have to sweat for people like him too,” said an angry Congress leader who did not wish to be identified.
- Tharoor in contention for Congress ticket from Kerala (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- 50 percent newcomers, women, youth likely in Congress' Kerala list - Mar 23, 2011
- Chennithala, Muraleedharan likely to contest - Mar 09, 2011
- Former CPI-M MP applies for Congress membership - May 14, 2010
- Congress in Kerala finalising candidates - Mar 07, 2009
- Chandy, Chennithala to name Congress candidates - Mar 12, 2011
- Muralidharan asked to wait before rejoining Congress - May 24, 2010
- Congress asks Kerala leaders to maintain discipline - Jun 10, 2010
- PM called Kerala leaders before accepting Tharoor resignation - Apr 20, 2010
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Chandy not in Rahul's good books, says Kodiyeri Balakrishnan - Mar 30, 2011
- AGP to support Sangma in Presidential poll - Jun 23, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Kerala's Congress chief awaits high command nod - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: candidature, chandy, chief minister, congress leader, congress party, congress president, general secretary, kerala, kidwai, lok sabha polls, palakkad, party leaders, political personalities, rajya sabha, ramesh chennithala, rank and file, screening committee, shashi tharoor, state congress, thiruvananthapuram