Tharoor cools off in backwaters after pollApril 17th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 17 (IANS) Former United Nations undersecretary general and Congress candidate from Thiruvananthapuram Shashi Tharoor was Friday cooling off in a houseboat after the intense campaign for the April 16 poll to Kerala’s 20 Lok Sabha constituencies.
Tharoor, who is due to appear in a Kochi court Saturday in a complaint of dishonouring the national anthem, is travelling on the houseboat in the Vembanad Lake from Alappuzha to Kochi.
Speaking to IANS over telephone, Tharoor said he had done a detailed analysis after the poll and his victory was certain.
“I will certainly forgive all my political adversaries for all the lies they told about me in the campaign. I wish I will be able to settle the case at the earliest. Next week I am off to South Mumbai constituency for campaigning there,” he said.
According to the complaint, Tharoor, after delivering the Hormis memorial lecture at Kochi December 2008, interrupted the national anthem to urge the audience to place their palms over the heart as people in the US do, instead of the Indian practice of standing at attention.
Additional chief judicial magistrate Cherian K. Kuriakose issued a notice for Tharoor to appear in the court April 18.
- Shashi Tharoor gets bail in national anthem case - Apr 18, 2009
- Tharoor showed disrespect to national anthem, alleges rights group - Jan 12, 2009
- Why is no Kerala bigwig coming out in support of Tharoor? - Apr 18, 2010
- 'Twinning' of Thiruvananthapuram, Barcelona on track: Tharoor - Jan 18, 2010
- Crucial Air India meeting postponed (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- IPL is not a sport: Achuthanandan - Apr 16, 2010
- Tharoor files defamation suit against magazine - Nov 12, 2011
- Kerala scores high in central reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- K.C. Venugopal: First time MP with state experience - Jan 19, 2011
- Shashi Tharoor expects Pakistan to raise Kashmir issue in UN Assembly - Oct 14, 2010
- Shashi Tharoor gets a warm welcome in Thirvananthapuram - Apr 24, 2010
- Two houseboats go up in flames - Aug 30, 2012
- 50 percent newcomers, women, youth likely in Congress' Kerala list - Mar 23, 2011
- High on spirit and joy, Kerala embraces 2011 - Jan 01, 2011
- Battle lines drawn for Kerala local bodies polls - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: alappuzha, backwaters, campaigning, congress candidate, constituency, hormis, houseboat, judicial magistrate, kochi, lok sabha constituencies, memorial lecture, national anthem, palms, political adversaries, poll, shashi tharoor, south mumbai, undersecretary, united nations, victory