Thaksin’s sister set to be Thai PMJuly 3rd, 2011 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, July 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s sister Yingluck Shinawatra is set to occupy the post, with incumbent Abhisit Vejjajiva conceding defeat in the general elections.
Yingluck Shinawatra is set to become Thailand’s first female prime minister. Her brother was deposed in a military coup in 2006.
With 80 percent of the votes in, results suggest Yingluck’s Pheu Thai party will gain 251 seats, giving it a majority in parliament.
Thaksin lives in exile in Dubai due to a conviction for abuse of power. The Pheu Thai party are expected to announce an amnesty, although Yingluck has said this will not be a priority.
- Thailand gets its first woman premier - Aug 05, 2011
- Yingluck to become Thailand's first female prime minister - Jul 04, 2011
- New Thai PM accused of buying votes with noodles - Jul 09, 2011
- Obama congratulates Thailand's first female prime minister - Aug 14, 2011
- Yingluck Shinawatra becomes Thailand's first woman PM (Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- Thailand bans Macbeth-like film - Apr 06, 2012
- Elephant stomps Thai man to death - Jul 30, 2012
- Thailand to 'soon' issue passport for fugitive former premier Thaksin - Dec 03, 2011
- Ex-PM Shinawatra says won't give up his Thai nationality - May 30, 2010
- Thailand slams Russia, Germany for giving visa to ex-PM Thaksin - Apr 13, 2010
- Drug-resistant Malaria spreads along Thai-Myanmar border - Apr 06, 2012
- Thai political battle moves from streets to courts - May 27, 2010
- Thai 'Red Shirts' commemorate first anniversary of deadly attack - Apr 11, 2011
- 19 more dead, 800 injured in Thai political violence - Apr 11, 2010
- Thai government prays for peace - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: abhisit vejjajiva, abuse of power, amnesty, bangkok, brother, conviction, exile, former thai prime minister thaksin shinawatra, general elections, military coup, parliament, prime minister thaksin, prime minister thaksin shinawatra, priority, ria novosti, thai prime minister, thai prime minister thaksin shinawatra, Thailand, thaksin shinawatra, vm