Terrorism was at peak during NDA regime: Rahul GandhiApril 7th, 2009 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Raigarh (Chhattisgarh), April 7 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi said Tuesday that terrorism was at its peak in the country during the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) rule.
He was countering the BJP’s charge that terror incidents had increased during the present Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime.
Addressing a public meeting in the industrial city of Raigarh in Chhattisgarh, some 225 km west of capital Raipur, the Congress leader also said the UPA government had launched several programmes for the poor.
“The country needs a UPA government again for the prosperity and welfare of the poor, Dalits and adivasis (tribals),” he said.
“In the 2004 Lok Sabha polls the Congress sought votes for the welfare of poor people. During the five-year UPA tenure, we launched several pro-poor schemes, including the world’s largest employment scheme - National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. The government also passed the Tribal Rights Bill and waived farmers’ loans worth Rs.60,000 crore (Rs.600 billion),” he said at a well-attended rally.
- People taught BJP a lesson by voting it out in 2004: Rahul (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 07, 2009
- Showcasing a 'pro-poor' agenda in tribal heartland - Jun 07, 2011
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Tribal group wants tribal CM in Chhattisgarh - Aug 27, 2012
- Infected foodgrain being supplied to poor in Mumbai: BJP - Aug 09, 2010
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- Controversial Madhya Pradesh minister puts foot in mouth - Mar 21, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi no potent political force, says BJP - Jun 03, 2011
- Congress-led UPA targeting our popular chief ministers: BJP - Jun 13, 2010
- I prefer to listen to people: Rahul Gandhi - Apr 11, 2009
- PM doesn't get even 25/100 in handling economy: Gadkari - Feb 27, 2012
- Plan panel in opposition line of fire over poverty norm (Third Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- CPI-M will be wiped out in Bengal: Rahul Gandhi (Third Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- UPA was committed to poor people: Rahul Gandhi - Mar 31, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi advocates upliftment of poor in Bihar - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, chhattisgarh, congress leader, crore, dalits, employment scheme, farmers, general secretary, guarantee scheme, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, progressive alliance, prosperity, rahul gandhi, raigarh, raipur, tenure, tribal rights, welfare