Terrorism, inflation key BJP poll issues: NaiduJanuary 29th, 2009 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) Terrorism, unemployment and inflation will be the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)’s key issues as it plans to launch an “aggressive campaign” for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. Senior BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here Thursday that besides these issues, the party would also focus on “good governance” of the states ruled by the BJP.
“The BJP will launch an aggressive campaign against the misrule of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government. It has failed on all fronts,” he said after a meeting of chief ministers of six party-ruled states with senior leader L.K. Advani.
Naidu said: “Advaniji said the focus (in their states) should be good governance and delivery in the BJP-ruled states.”
He also cited the results of the recent assembly elections to make this point, Naidu added.
Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh were in Delhi for the discussions.
The BJP leader said it was also decided at the meeting that food insecurity and agricultural crisis would also be taken up as campaign themes.
The meeting was held at the residence of Advani, the party’s prime ministerial candidate. Besides Advani, party president Rajnath Singh and senior leaders Yashwant Sinha, Arun Jaitely, Sushma Swaraj and Ananth Kumar were present.
In a new initiative, the BJP plans to engage hundreds of campaigners specially for the elections while it will reach out to first time voters directly and through public meetings.
Naidu said: “The party will recruit vistaaraks (canvassers) specially for the purpose of the elections. They will reach out to people.”
Similarly, the BJP will launch a “first time voters’ welcome programme” under which the party workers would contact new voters individually and through special meetings with them, Naidu said.
- Corruption, BSP 'misrule' main issues at BJP meet - Jun 02, 2011
- BJP to campaign for Sangma - Jun 28, 2012
- Delhi in mind, Advani starts yatra from Bihar - Oct 12, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Advani wants campaigns to expose corruption - Jun 04, 2011
- Campaign ends for third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 25, 2011
- BJP to launch aggressive campaign ahead of general elections: Naidu - Jan 30, 2009
- NDA to decide presidential nominee Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP organ hails Advani, flays others - Jun 01, 2012
- Campaigning ends for fourth phase of Bihar polls - Oct 30, 2010
- Bihari Babu to boycott BJP's Bihar Swabhiman rally - Jun 13, 2010
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Two-day BJP national executive meet begins - Jan 08, 2011
- BJP to focus on corruption, price rise at executive - Jan 08, 2011
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: aggressive campaign, agricultural crisis, alliance government, ananth kumar, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, campaign themes, chief ministers, food insecurity, good governance, himachal pradesh, l k advani, lok sabha elections, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, rajnath singh, sushma swaraj, time voters, uttarakhand, venkaiah naidu