Tension in Uttar Pradesh village after Ambedkar statue desecrationJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 23 (IANS) Tension prevails in a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Pratapgarh district after unidentified people desecrated a statue of Bhimrao Ambedkar, with activists of the state’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and several others taking to the streets to demand action against the culprits, police said Friday.”A case has been registered against unidentified people who desecrated the Ambedkar Statue in Kopa village in Pratapgarh, apparently on Thursday night,” police inspector R.M. Dubey told IANS on telephone. Pratapgarh is some 150-km from Lucknow.
Security in the village has been strengthened, added Dubey.
Police are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the incident. However, police believe the desecration could be a fallout of a land dispute between a group of Dalits and other residents of the village.
Ambedkar, one of the founding fathers of the Indian constitution, serves as an icon for Dalits, whose interests the BSP represents.
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Desecration of Ambedkar statue triggers protests in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2009
- Mob blocks traffic in Ghaziabad after Ambedkar statue damaged - Jul 06, 2012
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- Ambedkar's statue again desecrated in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Mayawati warns against razing statues - Apr 14, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- What a blow! Mayawati gets a boost, Akhilesh defensive (UP Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Mayawati's statue vandalised, BSP warns of consequences - Jul 26, 2012
- BSP leader killed in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 11, 2010
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: activists, bsp, culprits, dalits, desecration, dubey, exact reason, fallout, founding fathers, indian constitution, land dispute, police inspector, pratapgarh, tension, thursday night, unidentified people