Telangana town tense as YSR Congress, TRS workers clashJuly 23rd, 2012 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 23 (IANS) Workers of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and YSR Congress clashed in Andhra Pradesh’s Telangana region Monday, leading to tension.
Trouble broke out in Karimnagar district’s Sircilla town as YSR Congress Party honorary president Y.S. Vijayamma arrived for a day’a fast to highlight the problems faced by weavers. The TRS wants the party to clarify its position on the issue of a separate Telangana before visiting the region.
TRS supporters pelted stones on Vijayamma’s convoy as it reached the outskirts of the town. Activists of two leaders attacked each other with stones as police tried to disperse the clashing groups.
At least four vehicles in Vijayamma’s convoy were damaged. There were no immediate reports of any injuries.
TRS, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and other groups fighting for separate statehood to Telangana have threatened to disrupt Vijayamma’s visit.
Undeterred, Vijayamma, wife of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, left Hyderabad for Sircilla but faced protests at various places on the 115 km route.
Police made elaborate security arrangements. TRS legislators K. Tarakarama Rao and Harish Rao were among those arrested as a precaution.
Vijayamma, who is also a legislator, stopped near Siddipet in Medak district to pay homage at Telangana martyrs’ memorial.
TRS has also given a call for daylong shutdown in Sircilla to protest Vijayamma’s visit. Unidentified people Sunday night set afire a bus in the town.
TRS appears to be wary of YSR party’s plans to strengthen itself in Telangana region.
Vijayamma and her daughter Sharmila last month campaigned for party candidate in a by-election in Parkala in Warangal. Their visit passed off smoothly and evoked good public response.
Despite the perceived strong Telangana sentiment, YSR party put up a good show in the by-election but lost narrowly to TRS.
- Vijayamma's fast in Telangana concludes amid protests - Jul 23, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan begins Telangana visit amid sporadic protests - Jan 10, 2012
- TRS sweeps Telangana by-elections, Congress chief loses (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress MP forecasts Jagan party's sweep - Jun 12, 2012
- Polling on in seven Andhra assembly seats (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Another legislator quits Congress, two more call on Jagan's mother - May 31, 2012
- TRS ahead as campaigning ends for by-polls in Telangana - Jul 25, 2010
- Jagan arrest: Andhra shutdown call evokes poor response (Lead) - May 28, 2012
Tags: action committee, andhra pradesh, chief minister, congress party, convoy, harish, honorary president, hyderabad, jac, karimnagar district, legislator, martyrs, outskirts, party candidate, public response, rao, security arrangements, statehood, trs, ysr