Telangana shutdown called for MondayOctober 15th, 2011 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 15 (IANS) The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) has called for a shutdown in Telangana Monday to protest large-scale arrests and “police excesses” during the first day of its “rail blockade”.
Condemning arrests and “false cases” against the protestors, JAC convener M. Kodandaram Sunday night called for the shutdown in Telangana, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.
Kodandaram urged people to come out on the tracks in large numbers to lodge their protest against the arrests of hundreds of people across Telangana.
The JAC, which is spearheading the movement for separate Telangana state, had called for three-day “rail blockade” which began Saturday.
The JAC leader alleged that police did not spare even women. “As many as 60 women are still in police stations in violation of the directions of the Supreme Court,” he said.
Prominent women leaders in police custody include Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) MP Vijayshanti and TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao’s daughter K. Kavita.
Kodandaram accused the state government of adopting repressive measures. He condemned the arrest of MPs, including those of the Congress, for serious offences under the Railway Protection Act.
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana panel puts off rail blockade (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- MP sent to jail, 3,000 held for rail blockade in Telangana - Oct 16, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- JAC postpones rail blockade in Telangana by three days - Oct 07, 2011
- Telangana supporters paralyse rail traffic for separate state (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- Telangana supporters disrupt train traffic (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Hyderabad, other parts of Telangana hit by rail blockade (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- No newspapers for Hyderabad as hawkers join Telangana stir - Sep 29, 2011
- Railways, police warn Telangana protesters against blockade - Oct 10, 2011
- Telangana groups to lay siege to Hyderabad in October - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: action committee, blockade, even women, hyderabad, jac, kavita, large numbers, mp, mps, police custody, police excesses, police stations, protection act, protestors, railway, rao, repressive measures, state government, trs, women leaders