Telangana MP sent to jailOctober 16th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 16 (IANS) An MP and two Andhra Pradesh legislators from Telangana were Sunday sent to jail for participating in ‘rail blockade’, which entered the second day Sunday across the region, police said.
A railway court in Secunderabad sent Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) MP Vijayshanti and eight others to judicial custody till Oct 22. They were shifted to Chanchalguda Central Jail. They were arrested Saturday while protesting here on the railway tracks.
Congress MP S. Rajaiah in Warangal district remained in police custody and is likely to be produced before a magistrate later in the day.
Congress MP from Peddapalli in Karimnagar district G. Vivek and 16 others were released on bail.
MP from Karimnagar Ponnam Prabhakar and former state minister Jeevan Reddy were Saturday night remanded to judicial custody for two weeks.
TRS legislators Harish Rao and E. Rajender were among those sent to jail for participating in ‘rail roko’.
TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao’s son, legislator K. Taraka Rama Rao and daughter K. Kavita were released on bail along with 13 others.
After his release, Vivek alleged that Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy was acting with vendetta against Telangana MPs. He said false cases and arrests cannot silence the Telangana movement.
Police arrested over 3,000 protesters including MPs and legislators in Telangana Saturday on the first day of the blockade called by Joint Action Committee (JAC) to press the demand for separate Telangana state.
Protesting the large-scale arrests and ‘repressive measures’ by the government, JAC Saturday night called for Telangana shutdown Monday.
Meanwhile, police in Ramagundam town of Karimnagar district Sunday booked a case against Chandrasekhara Rao, JAC Convenor M. Kodandaram, BJP leader Vidyasagar Rao and Telangana employees’ leader Swami Goud for inciting the protesters.
A case against TRS and JAC leaders was registered at a police station in Nizamabad district Saturday.
- MP sent to jail, 3,000 held for rail blockade in Telangana - Oct 16, 2011
- Telangana shutdown called for Monday - Oct 15, 2011
- Telangana shutdown Monday, rail blockade cut short - Oct 16, 2011
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Telangana Congress MPs to surrender guards - Oct 19, 2011
- Telangana shutdown total, train services restored - Oct 17, 2011
- Telangana movement set to enter crucial phase - Jun 30, 2011
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
- MPs responsible for consequences of returning gunmen: DGP - Oct 20, 2011
- Telangana town tense as YSR Congress, TRS workers clash - Jul 23, 2012
- Vijayamma's fast in Telangana concludes amid protests - Jul 23, 2012
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- JAC postpones rail blockade in Telangana by three days - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: action committee, central jail, chief minister, jeevan, judicial custody, karimnagar district, kavita, kiran kumar, nizamabad district, police custody, prabhakar, rail roko, rama rao, repressive measures, state minister, taraka, telangana movement, trs, vivek, warangal district