Telangana issue again rocks Andhra assemblySeptember 18th, 2012 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 18 (IANS) The Telangana issue rocked the Andhra Pradesh state assembly for the second consecutive day Tuesday with Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) stalling the proceedings, demanding a resolution for carving out a separate state.
Speaker N. Manohar adjourned the house for half-an-hour amid noisy scenes and heated arguments among members. He later held a meeting with floor leaders of all parties but it failed to end the deadlock as TRS, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and CPI insisted on a resolution on Telangana while main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) wanted debate on electricity shortage and ‘tainted’ ministers.
As soon as the house met for the day, the speaker announced that he was rejecting adjournment motions moved by TDP, TRS and other parties on various issues. The TRS members rushed to the speaker’s podium and insisted that the resolution on Telangana be taken up immediately.
In an attempt to find a solution, the speaker sought the views of various parties on the issue. TRS floor leader E. Rajender demanded that the assembly immediately pass a resolution urging the centre to take immediate steps for formation of separate Telangana state.
When Lok Satta leader Jaiprakash Narayan told the house that IBM employees had left Hyderabad for Bangalore due to the protests over Telangana, TRS member Harish Rao raised an objection. There was heated argument between the two.
Two ministers Danam Nagender and Mukesh Goud disrupted the proceedings when independent member N. Janardhan Reddy was speaking in favour of a separate state.
Amid the din, the speaker adjourned the house and called all floor leaders for a meeting in his chamber. However, the meeting failed to find a solution.
The first day of the monsoon session had also witnessed uproar over Telangana. The TDP and other opposition parties are already agitated over the government convening only a five-day session. They feel the duration is not adequate to discuss people’s problems.
- Andhra assembly stalled over members' suspension - Feb 21, 2011
- Andhra assembly remains paralysed over Telangana - Sep 21, 2012
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned again - Feb 15, 2012
- Telangana impasse continues in Andhra assembly - Feb 22, 2011
- Deadlock continues in Andhra assembly (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Telangana trouble continues in Andhra assembly - Feb 25, 2011
- Telangana issue rocks Andhra assembly again, 12 members suspended (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
- Quit or face action, Telangana activists tell MLAs - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh state, bharatiya janata party, electricity shortage, floor leader, floor leaders, goud, harish, independent member, janardhan reddy, lok satta, manohar, monsoon session, mukesh, noisy scenes, opposition parties, state assembly, state speaker, tdp, trs, uproar