Team will move SC if Sangma loses presidential pollJuly 11th, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Presidential candidate P.A. Sangma’s team Wednesday threatened to file an election petition in the Supreme Court against United Progressive Alliance nominee Pranab Mukherjee if the former Lok Sabha speaker loses the July 19 presidential poll.
“Our case has a strong merit but any election petition can be filed only after the result. We are confident that Sangma will win but in case he does not, we will challenge Mukherjee’s candidature,” Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legal cell chief Satya Pal Jain said.
The decision was taken in a meeting attended by Jain, BJP leader and former law minister Ram Jethmalani and Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy.
The meeting was called after the Election Commission Tuesday rejected team Sangma’s plea against Returning Officer V.K. Agnihotri’s July 3 order accepting Mukherjee’s nomination papers.
According to Jain, the apex court may dismiss the election petition, declare the election void and order fresh poll or declare the poll void and pronounce the other candidate the winner.
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- Sangma gives proof against Mukherjee, centre debunks it (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sangma's team keeps option of moving apex court open - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bjp leader, candidature, election commission, election petition, jain, law minister, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, nomination papers, plea, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential poll, progressive alliance, ram jethmalani, returning officer, subramanian swamy, supreme court