Team Sangma may go to court against Pranab’s nominationJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) After their demand to cancel presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee’s nomination was rejected, the other contender for the post, P. Sangma, and his supporters plan to go to the court.
Sangma, who has the backing of several opposition parties including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has written to the returning officer for presidential polls V.K. Agnihotri seeking a copy of his order rejecting the objection against Mukherjee’s candidature.
Mukherjee is a candidate of the ruling United Progressive Alliance.
The decision to challenge Mukherjee’s nomination legally was taken after a two-hour meeting at BJP leader Sushma Swaraj’s residence here, sources said.
The Shiromani Akali Dal, Biju Janata Dal and AIADMK are also supporting Sangma.
Leaders from Sangma’s team, however, said that the final decision would be taken after they receive a copy of the letter rejecting their application.
“We have surprisingly not received the order. We are waiting for the official copy and only then we will move court,” Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy said.
Sangma’s team had Monday demanded rejection of Mukherjee’s nomination alleging he held an office of profit as the chairman of Indian Statistical Institute.
Mukherjee however produced his resignation letter with acceptance from ISI, after which Sangma’s request was rejected and Mukherjee’s nomination accepted.
However, at a press conference Tuesday, BJP alleged that signatures of Mukherjee on two documents submitted were different.
Mukherjee has denied that the signatures are forged.
“How can I forge my own signature? All these issues have been discussed in front of the returning officer,” said Mukherjee.
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Beyond my powers to probe Mukherjee's signature' - Jul 11, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against Mukherjee - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Sangma gives proof against Mukherjee, centre debunks it (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP again rakes up Pranab's 'forged' signature issue - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjp, candidature, contender, final decision, indian statistical institute, isi, nomination, objection, opposition parties, party leader, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential polls, progressive alliance, resignation letter, returning officer, subramanian swamy