Team Manmohan’s cabinet takes oath (Lead)May 28th, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) The second round of the induction of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s council of ministers began here at Rashtrapti Bhavan with 14 cabinet ministers being sworn in.
The swearing-in ceremony started exactly on time at 11.30 a.m. with President Pratibha Patil giving the oath of office at the resplendent Ashoka Hall in the presidential palace.
The first to be sworn in was Virbhadra Singh followed by National Conference patron Farooq Abdullah, former chief minister of Maharashtra Vilasrao Deshmukh, DMK leaders Dayanidhi Maran and A. Raja, Congress’ Mallikarjun Kharge and Subodh Kant Sahay who were among the 14 cabinet ministers sworn in Thursday. Nineteen cabinet ministers took oath in the first round May 22.
The others who took oath were Congress’ M.S. Gill, G.K. Vasan, Pawan Kumar Bansal, Mukul Wasnik, Kantilal Bhuria, Kumari Selja and DMK’s M.K. Azhagiri.
After the cabinet ministers, seven ministers of state with independent charge and 38 other ministers of state will take oath.
The was hall packed to capacity with a beaming Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi seated in the front row along with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- 59 new ministers inducted into Union cabinet - May 28, 2009
- 14 cabinet ministers to be sworn in Thursday - May 27, 2009
- Council of Ministers represents a bend of experience and energy: PM - May 28, 2009
- 59 ministers, including 14 cabinet ministers, to take oath Thursday (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 27, 2009
- Team Manmohan ready for governance (Second Lead) - May 28, 2009
- PM, Sonia Gandhi finalise list of ministers ahead of cabinet expansion - May 27, 2009
- Supporters celebrate Indian Cabinet expansion, as ministers take oath - May 29, 2009
- The new council of ministers after Wednesday's reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- Cabinet expansion today - May 28, 2009
- Manmohan Singh readies council of ministers, with personal touch (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2009
- 59 new ministers to be sworn in Thursday (Second Lead) - May 27, 2009
- Manmohan Singh readies council of ministers, with personal touch (Roundup) - May 27, 2009
- 38 ministers take oath in English, 21 in Hindi - May 28, 2009
- Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu get five cabinet berths; Uttar Pradesh nil - May 27, 2009
- Manmohan Singh's 78-member council of ministers finalised (Third Lead) - May 27, 2009
Tags: conference patron, congress leader, dayanidhi maran, ghulam nabi azad, m k azhagiri, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, ministers of state, pawan kumar, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, s council, sahay, sonia gandhi, vasan, vilasrao deshmukh, virbhadra singh