Team Anna’s political alternative will be an ‘andolan’, says KejriwalAugust 3rd, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Throwing light on its proposed “political alternative”, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal said Friday that it would not be a party but an “andolan” or movement.
“Our aim is not to grab power, but to end the Delhi-centric government and take governance to the villages and the people. Ours will not be a party, but a movement,” Kejriwal told the thousands gathered at the indefinite fast site in Jantar Mantar here.
Kejriwal, who has been on fast since the past 10 days causing concern over his weakening health condition, spoke for half-an-hour about the proposed movement and plans.
“There will be no party high command and the people will select the candidates. We will go among the farmers and the people and ask them about their problems. They will tell us about their problems and their solutions. We will also go among the youth and ask them about their problems and ask for solutions. Likewise, we will go around the entire country and meet people. They will form the ghoshna patra (manifesto).”
“Ours will have the structure of an andolan, and be what the people want.
“Our aim is not just to win the polls, it is to challenge all the political parties. All the donations we get we will put on our website and challenge the political parties to do likewise. We will likewise put our expenses on the website.”
He added that they would take their agitation “inside parliament and on the streets”.
He also invited those in the ruling Congress and opposition Bharatiya Janata Party to join their “desh bhakt” movement if they were “feeling suffocated” in their respective parties.
“I have a vision that in three years, India will change,” he added. General elections will be held in India in 2014.
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Our fight is for changing system, not power: Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- No proposal from government: Kejriwal - Aug 22, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Kejriwal asks people to switch off home lights - Aug 15, 2011
- Have not said anything wrong, says Kejriwal - Mar 26, 2012
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Whither Team Anna? (News Analysis) - Oct 30, 2011
- Ramdev ends fast with chants of 'Congress hatao', targets PM (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- Transparency can be suicidal: Kejriwal - May 03, 2012
- Premature to form political party: Manish Sisodia - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna core group stays, warns Congress on Lokpal bill - Oct 29, 2011
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Ramdev ends fast, targets PM; Congress hits back (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: agitation, aim, andolan, arvind kejriwal, centric government, congress, donations, farmers, general elections, governance, half an hour, health condition, India, manifesto, mantar, New Delhi, opposition, parliament, political parties, polls