Team Anna to call off fast Friday, proposes ‘political alternative’August 2nd, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) Anna Hazare and his team members Thursday announced they were calling off their indefinite fast against corruption at 5 p.m. Friday and said they would seek a referendum on forming a “political alternative”.
Hazare, who has been on fast at Jantar Mantar since July 29, announced he and Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai were calling off their fast.
Hazare told the gathering that the government was not listening to them and was not willing to pass the Jan Lokpal bill, and asked them if the people wanted a political alternative. The crowd cheered “yes, yes.”
Hazare then said: “The time has come to give a political alternative”.
He added: “There is no harm in giving a political alternative, but only those people should go to parliament who love the country and have a clean background.”
Hazare said he will “not join the system but will support it from outside”.
He added that if he decides to support a political alternative, “then I should be sure that no corrupt person has reached parliament. If you want to change the government, then we need to plan and make a system”.
He also proposed a kind of a referendum on the political alternative, saying the activists would seek the opinion of 6.5 lakh gram sabhas, or village councils, on whether they would support such a move. And “if four lakh gram sabhas vow to support us, then we can give an alternative.”
India Against Corruption media coordinator Aswathi Muralidharan told IANS: “The government is insensitive…it is not passing the Lokpal bill or setting up special teams to probe corruption charges against 14 ministers in the central government.”
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna will realise responsibilities, compulsions: Soni - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna gets MCD nod for another hunger strike - Nov 27, 2011
- Not launching political party: Anna Hazare (Interview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Will tour the country to awaken people, says Hazare - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Karnataka pontiff backs Hazare's anti-graft bill - Aug 18, 2011
- Premature to form political party: Manish Sisodia - Aug 03, 2012
- Decision on Hazare's fast venue in two days: Delhi Police - Aug 08, 2011
- Team Anna has hidden agenda, says Narayanasamy - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: activists, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, aug 2, central government, corrupt person, corruption charges, crowd, gopal rai, India, lokpal bill, manish, mantar, media coordinator, New Delhi, parliament, referendum, team members, village councils, vow