Team Anna rejects CBI probe in ‘coalgate’ (Lead)June 1st, 2012 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 1 (IANS) Team Anna Friday rejected as irrelevant a CBI probe ordered into irregularities in coal block allocation, saying it will give a clean cheat to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“We reject the referral of case by Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to CBI as it will give a clean chit to the prime minister. How can the CBI investigate a case when it reports to the prime minister? It is just a pretence,” Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal said here.
But the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) expressed happiness over the move to hand over the case to CBI, saying its own stand had got vindicated.
The CBI has been asked to investigate the alleged irregularities in allocation of coal blocks to public and private companies. Team Anna has questioned the role of Manmohan Singh in the suspected scam.
The prime minister held the coal portfolio from November 2006 to May 2009.
According to the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), mining rights for coal blocks were allocated without auctioning them and this led to massive profits for chosen private firms.
Kejriwal said the government was trying to mislead the people by saying that massive allocation of coal mines took place due peaking demand for coal.
“In three years, 145 blocks were allocated while prior to his tenure only 75 mines were allocated in 12 years. It shows that the demand for coal was high only in three years. In fact, only one coal block has been allotted since he left the charge of coal portfolio,” Kejriwal said.
The Team Anna member demanded an independent investigation into the matter.
“If prime minster claims innocence, why is he afraid of an independent investigation?”
He alleged that the coal blocks were allocated at throwaway prices to private and public companies which had nothing to do with coal sector.
“The blocks were allocated to companies … and those which have nothing to do with steel cement and power. Their motive was to sell the mines,” he said.
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- PMO rejects allegations against Manmohan, Team Anna cries foul (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Prashant Bhushan defends comments on PM (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Team Anna attacks Manmohan, Chidambaram and Pranab (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Team Anna charges Manmohan, Chidambaram, Pranab of corruption (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Jaiswal refutes charges on coal block allocations - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna hits out at PMO's rejection of allegations (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Congress accuses Ramdev, Team Anna of pro-BJP bias - Jun 03, 2012
- Charges against PM not irresponsible: Shanti Bhushan - May 29, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Team Anna supporters protest outside PM house, detained (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- PMO rejects Team Anna's 'loose' allegations against Manmohan - Jun 09, 2012
- Kejriwal walks out of Hazare-Ramdev fast venue - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: arvind kejriwal, bharatiya janata party, bjp, block allocation, cbi probe, central vigilance commission, clean chit, coal mines, coal sector, comptroller, cvc, independent investigation, irregularities, manmohan, manmohan singh, massive profits, pretence, prime minister manmohan singh, private firms, throwaway prices