Team Anna members to stage protest in Delhi (Lead)December 26th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) As Anna Hazare on Tuesday begins his three-day fast in Mumbai to push for a strong Lokpal bill, his key team members, including Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan, will simultaneously agitate at the capital’s Ramlila ground.
“As Anna Hazare will start his three-day fast at Mumbai’s MMRDA ground, some of the Team Anna members will also sit in the Ramlila ground for the agitation,” Prashant Bhushan told reporters here.
Hazare will stage a three-day fast at the MMRDA Ground in Mumbai’s Bandra-Kurla complex.
The activists’ team in Delhi would install huge LCD screens at the Ramlila ground where the live feed of Hazare’s fast in Mumbai will be telecast. The screens will also telecast parts of parliament proceedings on the Lokpal bill.
“Keeping Delhi’s weather condition in mind, starting Dec 27-29, we will assemble at Ramlila ground at 10 a.m. and we will be there till 6 p.m.,” Bhushan said.
“On Dec 30 and 31, we will protest outside the houses of those MPs who support the government’s Lokpal bill,” he said.
Bhushan requested the people to demonstrate in front of houses of MPs who were supporting the government’s Lokpal Bill or who were opposing Anna’s anti-graft bill.
He said that plans to demonstrate outside the MPs’ houses would be cancelled only if Team Anna got indication from the government that it was ready for amendments in the proposed legislation.
“The four changes suggested by the government in the bill are non-negotiable,” Bhushan said, demanding that Lokpal’s removal should not be in government’s hand.
“The Lokpal’s removal and selection should be independent of government’s control,” he said.
Bhushan said the Lokpal and Lokayuktas in states must be able to initiate their own investigations, without a complaint or reference from anyone.
Another demand raised by Team Anna is that Class C and D government employees should be brought under the purview of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas.
He said if the government failed to bring amendments to the proposed Lokpal bill, Team Anna would campaign against the Congress in the upcoming assembly elections in five states.
–Indo-Asian News Agency
- Key Team Anna members to stage protest at Ramlila ground - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal bill passed amid Anna fast, but Congress stumped (Intro Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill passed amid Anna fast, but Congress stumped (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Anna Hazare arrives at MMRDA ground in Mumbai - Dec 27, 2011
- As Anna fasts, parliament divided over Lokpal (Night Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Hazare arrives in Mumbai - Dec 26, 2011
- Anna Hazare ends fast - Dec 28, 2011
- Hazare fit to fast: Doctor - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal passed by Lok Sabha is 'useless': Team Anna (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Show unity against corruption, Digvijay tells MPs - Dec 27, 2011
- Team Anna protests in Ramlila ground, with fewer numbers - Dec 27, 2011
- Anna's absence, chill keep crowds away from Ramlila ground - Dec 28, 2011
- Government plans Lokpal bill in winter session; Anna threatens agitation - Dec 15, 2011
- Team Anna protests in Ramlila, with fewer numbers - Dec 27, 2011
- Hazare pulls crowds as rally starts from Juhu beach (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: activists, agitation, amendments, anna hazare, bandra kurla complex, bhushan, class c, government employees, key team, lcd screens, live feed, mmrda, mps, mumbai, New Delhi, parliament proceedings, purview, ramlila, team members, weather condition