Team Anna demands Virbhadra’s resignationJune 25th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) Team Anna Monday demanded resignation of union Minister Virbhadra Singh following a Shimla court framing corruption charges against him, and said the order vindicates its stand against the former Himachal Pradesh chief minister.
Team Anna had some time back named Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Virbhadra Singh as one of the 15 tainted ministers in the union cabinet. The former chief minister has been accused of misusing his official position and criminal misconduct in 1989.
Special Judge B.L. Soni, while pronouncing the order in Shimla, said the “materials on record show existence of criminal conspiracy by Virbhadra and Pratibha Singh”. Pratibha is wife of Virbhadra Singh.
Commenting on the ruling, Team Anna in a statement said: “Verdict of Shimla court framing charges against Virbhadra Singh vindicates the stand of India Against Corruption (IAC). When IAC named him as one of the tainted ministers in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s cabinet on March 25, he had threatened a defamation suit against us.”
Demanding his resignation, Team Anna said: “A person against whom charges have been framed by the court for corruption certainly cannot be accepted as a part of central cabinet by the people of India.”
The court in Shimla Monday formally charged Virbhadra and his wife Pratibha for corruption, based on a CD purportedly containing the couple’s voices.
The couple was booked Aug 3, 2009, on the basis of an audio cassette released by Virbhadra Singh’s political adversary Vijai Singh Mankotia in 2007.
- Graft charges framed against union minister Virbhadra Singh (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra graft case: Order on charge June 25 - Jun 06, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- Graft case: Virbhadra gets audio tape's copy - May 22, 2012
- Virbhadra graft case: Recording of evidence in November - Sep 21, 2012
- Virbhadra calls graft case 'concocted' - Jun 25, 2012
- Virbhadra voice CD in a graft case played in court - May 31, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Graft charges framed against Virbhadra, wife (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Graft case: Setback for Virbhadra Singh - Mar 13, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Congress defends Virbhadra Singh - Jun 26, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh to appear in court in graft case - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: adversary, audio cassette, chief minister, corruption charges, criminal conspiracy, criminal misconduct, defamation suit, himachal pradesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, pratibha, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resignation, small and medium enterprises, soni, special judge, union cabinet, union minister, virbhadra singh