TDP legislators protest at Reddy’s officeAugust 28th, 2012 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 27 (IANS) In an unprecedented move, the legislators of main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in Andhra Pradesh continued their protest in the chief minister’s office late Monday night.
As many as 41 members of state assembly and council were staging a sit-in in the meeting hall of the chief minister’s office for over five hours, demanding a firm assurance from him to resolve the electricity shortage.
Tension prevailed in the ‘C’ block of the state secretariat, which houses Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy’s office as policemen were preparing to evict the agitating TDP leaders, who stayed in the meeting hall on sixth floor despite authorities cutting off electricity supply.
The police have removed journalists from inside the building and took the premises in their control.
The opposition legislators began their protest around 5 p.m. when the chief minister left the office after meeting them.
TDP leader Babu Rajendar Prasad told reporters that food was not being allowed into the building and even the bath rooms were locked by the officials.
“Come what may we will continue our protest till the chief minister (Kiran Kumar Reddy) gives a firm assurance that farmers would be supplied electricity for seven hours without any interruption,” he said.
The TDP legislators said they would continue their protest till the chief minister comes to the office Tuesday.
- TDP legislators continue protest over power shortage - Aug 28, 2012
- Chandrababu Naidu, others to spend night in police custody (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
- TDP seeks probe into land allotments during YSR rule - Mar 16, 2011
- TDP leaders held during march as Naidu continues fast (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Naidu continues fast, chief minister to call all-party meet - Dec 23, 2010
- Ignoring opposition protests, Andhra transfers police official (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Fasting Naidu arrested, Andhra rocked by TDP protests (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Chandrababu Naidu stages sit-in in front of Andhra assembly - Dec 13, 2010
- Four Telangana TDP legislators resign (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Naidu continues fast despite doctors' warning (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- Andhra minister trades blows with TDP members in assembly - Mar 28, 2011
- Chandrababu Naidu's indefinite fast enters third day - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: bath rooms, c block, chief minister, electricity shortage, electricity supply, hyderabad, interruption, kiran kumar, legislators, meeting hall, monday night, policemen, prasad, premises, secretariat, seven hours, sixth floor, state assembly, state secretariat, unprecedented move