TDP leaders held during protest march in HyderabadJanuary 10th, 2012 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 10 (IANS) Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief N. Chandrababu Naidu and other leaders of the Andhra Pradesh opposition party were arrested here Tuesday for leading a march to protest the proposed hike in electricity tariff.
Naidu and his party MPs as well as legislators and other leaders were marching towards Vidyut Soudha, headquarters of the Andhra Pradesh Transmission Corporation (AP Transco), when police stopped them at Nagarjuna Cicle in Banjara Hills area.
Tension prevailed for some time as TDP leaders tried to resist the arrests and squatted on the road. Police personnel bodily lifted them to the waiting police vehicles.
Naidu and other leaders were shifted to the Banjara Hills police station and later released.
The TDP leaders had begun the march from NTR Trust Bhavan, the TDP headquarters, but were stopped by police midway while a section of electricity employees held a counter protest at Vidyut Soudha. The employees from Telangana criticised Naidu for his recent visit to the region without making his stand clear on the issue of statehood to Telangana.
The former chief minister condemned the arrests and told reporters that the TDP would continue protests till the government dropped the move to burden common people.
He said the people, especially farmers, were already facing hardships due to shortage of electricity and poor supply system.
According to Naidu, electricity generation and supply system, strengthened by his government, had been completely destroyed by the Congress regime.
The leader of opposition said AP Transco had outstanding loans of Rs.16,000 crore. He alleged that the government was planning to shift the burden to people through the tariff hike.
- Andhra opposition protests with lanterns - Mar 09, 2010
- TRS, TDP leaders arrested in Hyderabad - Dec 28, 2011
- Pro-Telangana lawyers clash with TDP activists - Mar 06, 2010
- Andhra MP, Telangana leaders arrested in Hyderabad - Sep 27, 2011
- Protests across Andhra over diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Telangana lawyers boycott courts - Mar 08, 2010
- Fasting Naidu's health may deteriorate further, warn doctors (Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Telangana celebrates liberation day amid tension, arrests - Sep 17, 2011
- Protests in Telangana mark Andhra Pradesh formation day - Nov 01, 2011
- Charges dropped, Naidu arrives in Hyderabad (Night Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Pro-Telangana students protest in Hyderabad, many arrested - Oct 31, 2010
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
- Tension, protests in Telangana mar Andhra formation day (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Chandrababu Naidu faces Telangana fury, 4 injured (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, banjara hills, chandrababu naidu, chief minister, cicle, common people, electricity generation, electricity tariff, hardships, hyderabad, leader of opposition, legislators, opposition party, police station, police vehicles, protest march, protests, statehood, tariff hike, transco