TDP leader Subbarayudu joins Chiranjeevi’s partyMarch 21st, 2009 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 21 (IANS) The main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in Andhra Pradesh Saturday received a big jolt as its senior leader and former minister K. Subbarayudu joined Praja Rajyam party of actor-turned-politician K. Chiranjeevi.
Subbarayudu, who was president of TDP’s West Godavari district unit, joined the Praja Rajyam at a massive public meeting of the party at Parade Grounds, Secunderabad in the evening.
Subbarayudu was energy minister in the previous Chandrababu Naidu cabinet and his exit is seen as a big blow to the party in coastal Andhra.
Subbarayudu is a Kapu, the community to which Chiranjeevi belongs and he also comes from the native district of the megastar.
This is the latest in a series of resignation of top TDP leaders. Last week, TDP vice president G. Sukhender Reddy joined the ruling Congress.
However, a majority of the leaders who quit the TDP in recent months have joined Praja Rajyam. It was in July last year that T. Devender Goud, who was holding number two position in the party, quit to form a separate outfit. He recently merged his outfit with Praja Rajyam.
Several former ministers K. Vidyadhar Rao, Tammineni Sitaram, Bhuma Nagi Reddy, Shobha Nagi Reddy, Kala Venkat Rao and S.V. Subba Reddy have quit the TDP and joined Chiranjeevi’s party.
- TDP vice president joins Congress party - Mar 15, 2009
- TDP's Devender Goud, Ramesh file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- Chiru, a superstar whose political party proved a flop (Profile) - Feb 06, 2011
- 33 TDP legislators from Telangana submit resignations (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Crisis in Andhra as 73 Telangana legislators quit (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Andhra legislators roughed up in assembly (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- PRP's merger with Congress may benefit TDP, Jagan (News Analysis) - Feb 07, 2011
- Congress announces Andhra candidates for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Two PRP leaders sworn in as Andhra ministers - Jan 19, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Legislator quits TDP to join Chiranjeevi's party - Oct 05, 2008
Tags: actor turned politician, andhra pradesh, chandrababu naidu, chiranjeevi, devender, energy minister, goud, hyderabad, jolt, kala, kapu, march 21, megastar, nagi, parade grounds, rao, shobha, sitaram, venkat, west godavari district