Tarun Vijay seeks better water supply for Andaman residentsMay 18th, 2012 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member of parliament Tarun Vijay Friday said that the residents of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands were facing a shortage of drinking water and demanded construction of a reservoir and a desalination plant to meet the people’s needs.
Raising the issue through a special mention in the Rajya Sabha, Vijay said people in the islands get between 20 to 30 minutes’ drinking water supply in a week during summer.
He said the only existing reservoir at Dhanikhari fails to meet the demand of potable water and sought construction of an estuarine reservoir at Flat Bay.
He said that while the British administration had a desalination plant to convert sea water into drinking water, no such plant had been constructed after Independence.
- Beijing water shortage: residents to get desalinised seawater - Mar 02, 2012
- Water woes in Andaman require creative solutions - Jul 03, 2010
- New alloy could provide cheap drinking water to villages - May 04, 2011
- Tourists stranded in Andamans after cyclone - Dec 27, 2011
- India enhancing security on its islands: Chidambaram - Sep 02, 2011
- RPP Infra Projects bags orders of over Rs.340 million - Nov 29, 2011
- India opens new naval base overlooking Malacca Strait - Jul 31, 2012
- Climate change brings drought to Mediterranean - Dec 13, 2009
- India to up defences in Andamans, Lakshadweep - Jun 27, 2011
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- First Indian seaplane service launches Monday - Dec 26, 2010
- Indian Navy plans base in Lakshadweep - Jan 23, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andaman Nicobar islands to have more airbases - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: 30 minutes, andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, british administration, desalination plant, drinking water supply, member of parliament, New Delhi, parliament, rajya sabha, sea water, vijay