Tapes prove MPs were offered bribes: BJPAugust 12th, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday said the tapes of a sting operation by the TV channel CNN-IBN proved bribes were offered to buy votes and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) had given its responsibility to Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh. “After seeing the telecast, it becomes very clear that each frame of the tape supports what our three MPs have said in their written complaint,” said BJP spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad.
“The government led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh adopted every corrupt measure to win the trust vote in parliament and the responsibility of procuring MPs was given to Amar Singh,” Prasad told reporters here.
He said Sanjiv Saxena, who was purportedly shown in the sting delivering advance payment of Rs.10 million to the three BJP MPs for abstaining during the trust vote, should be produced before people and media.
Saxena is stated to be a close aide of Amar Singh, who, however, has denied having any relations with him.
The BJP also sought action against Amar Singh and others for “cash-for-vote scam” and asked the UPA government to apologise for it.
“We hope that the (Lok Sabha) committee probing the scam will expedite its decision,” Prasad added.
On Monday evening, the CNN-IBN news channel telecast the tapes relating to the alleged bribing of the three BJP MPs ahead of the July 22 trust vote.
But the contents left several questions unanswered and did not conclusively establish a case of an attempt to bribe the MPs to make them abstain during the trust vote, viewers said.
The tapes showed Samajwadi Party MP Reoti Raman Singh meeting the three MPs - Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora - and offering them a “deal” in return for their abstention during the trust vote, which the government won comfortably.
The contentious tapes, based on footage shot through secret cameras, show Reoti Raman Singh, coming to the 4, Ferozeshah Road residence of BJP MP Ashok Argal on the midnight of July 21 and sweet-talking the three into a cash-for-vote deal.
- Highlights of court order on bail for 6 in cash-for-votes - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes case: BJP MP likely to be quizzed - Jul 25, 2011
- Amar questioned, denies role in 2008 'horse trading' - Jul 22, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Aide blames Amar in cash-for-votes scam, Amar denies - Jul 19, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh, three others summoned - Aug 25, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh to appear in court Tuesday - Sep 05, 2011
- No prima facie evidence against Amar Singh: K.C. Deo - Jul 19, 2011
- Second arrest made in cash-for-votes case - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scandal: SP, BJP MPs questioned - Jul 25, 2011
- Whose frontman were you: BJP, Left ask Amar Singh - Sep 06, 2011
- Congress MP who probed cash-for-votes scam wants deeper inquiry (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Amar Singh to be questioned Friday over 2008 'horse trading' - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: argal, bharatiya janata party, cnn, cnn ibn, cnn ibn news, cnn ibn news channel, Lok Sabha, mahavir, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, raman singh, ravi shankar, sanjiv, saxena, secret cameras, sting operation, trust vote, written complaint