Tamils demonstrate at Brandenburg Gate in BerlinApril 24th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 24 (DPA) About 1,500 Germany-based Tamils demonstrated Friday near the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin for a halt to the fighting in Sri Lanka, where civilians are caught in the cross-fire in a government offensive against Tamil rebels.
A spokeswoman said: “We are demonstrating again to press for the German government to do more to help Tamils in Sri Lanka.”
The Brandenburg Gate is a central-city landmark which is much visited by tourists.
The Tamils have previously demonstrated outside Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Berlin office and in the western city of Dusseldorf.
- Protesters in Germany demand release of Ai Weiwei - Apr 18, 2011
- Germany, Canada to conduct joint ocean research - Aug 18, 2012
- Medvedev blasts German group for taking back Putin award - Jul 20, 2011
- German chancellor Merkel's father dead - Sep 04, 2011
- NATO on course for planned Afghan withdrawal: Merkel - May 05, 2012
- Berlin celebrates the fall of the Wall (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- Putin, Merkel, Gates nominated for Chinese peace prize - Sep 18, 2011
- German Chancellor Merkel to visit India next year - Dec 12, 2010
- No trust deficit between India, Germany on high technology transfer: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- Germany calls for tougher sanctions against Libya - Mar 24, 2011
- PM leaves Berlin for India - Dec 12, 2010
- Berlin celebrates the fall of the Wall - Nov 09, 2009
- Thousands participate in anti-nuclear demonstrations in Germany - Sep 06, 2009
- Obama, Merkel ask Gaddafi to step down - Jun 08, 2011
- Pakistan should know that terrorism is not a means to an end: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: angela merkel, april 24, berlin berlin, berlin office, brandenburg gate, chancellor angela merkel, city landmark, civilians, cross fire, dpa, dusseldorf, german government, germany, spokeswoman, sri lanka, tamil rebels, tourists