Tamil Nadu’s gypsies demand right to voteMarch 25th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Cuddalore (Tamil Nadu), March 25 (IANS) Over 100 tribals of Tamil Nadu’s Narikkorava (gypsy) community held a demonstration here Wednesday, demanding the right to vote, police said.
“This near illiterate gypsy tribe could not cast their votes so far due to their nomadic character, though they were issued ration cards 10 years ago. We are assuring them all help this time,” a police official said after persuading the tribals to give up their protest.
“We have a history going back thousands of years and are as much citizens of this nation as others. Yet, we have been marginalised, termed untouchables and (have) never voted. Now we want to assert our rights,” a spokesman of the group, Domba Raja, told IANS.
The state’s Chief Electoral Officer Naresh Gupta said the poll panel will look into the community’s grievances.
“We are particular that nobody should be denied the right to vote and will take immediate action if representations from this group reaches us directly or the district administration,” Gupta told IANS on phone from Chennai.
The tribe’s origins are traced to European Roma gypsies and to several others from Rajasthan, Gujarat and Orissa, according to accounts published by Edgar Thurston in 1909.
According to the police, most members of the tribe live in Tamil Nadu and parts of Kerala. They used to be trappers and hunters, but hunting has now been banned. One of their traditional handicarfts is the making of bead garlands.
- Connecting Roma gypsies to their Indian roots, via screen (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Hindus denounce Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Gypsy" - Feb 03, 2011
- Gujjars for national model to rehabilitate Kashmir tribes - Jan 16, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Life limping back after Cyclone Thane's destruction - Dec 31, 2011
- Roma Gypsies Get Support And Sympathy From Madonna - Aug 28, 2009
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Hindus and Jews laud Sweden for "white book" on Roma maltreatment and ask Europe to follow - Feb 01, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Production resumes at Chemplast Sanmar's PVC plant - Jan 06, 2012
- Arbitrary surveillance of Roma in Europe - Oct 31, 2010
- Hindus want Romania President to apologize for 'racist' Roma remarks - Nov 06, 2010
- Once 'criminal tribes' might finally get integrated - May 28, 2012
- Hindus and Jews Want Sanctions Against France - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: chief electoral officer, district administration, grievances, gujarat, gupta, gypsy community, gypsy tribe, kerala, march 25, origins, orissa, police official, rajasthan, ration cards, representations, roma gypsies, tamil nadu, trappers, tribals, untouchables