Tamil Nadu wants back islet ceded to Sri LankaJuly 19th, 2008 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 19 (IANS) The frequent killings of Tamil fishermen in the Palk Strait between Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka is developing into a major diplomatic row, with the state government Saturday demanding the return of an islet ceded to Sri Lanka in 1974. Inaugurating a day-long statewide hunger strike, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi said the demand for Kachchatheevu islet to be returned to the state will be renewed if the Sri Lankan Navy does not stop targeting Indian fishermen.
“Our protests were ignored by the Centre in 1974 and Kachchatheevu was ceded to Sri Lanka. Now the incessant killing of Tamil fishermen in the Palk Straits by Sinhalese chauvinists have necessitated our recalling our demand to repossess the islet,” Karunanidhi said.
“I have assured our fishermen that this government will ensure that the killings will stop and our endeavour towards this end has begun with this hunger strike,” he added.
At least two Indian fishermen were killed in firing by the Sri Lankan Navy last week.
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be released - Jul 24, 2012
- DMK for new pact with Colombo over Katchathivu - Feb 03, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to implead itself in Katchathivu case - Jun 09, 2011
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Opposition slams Tamil Nadu for ignoring fishermen's woes - Oct 02, 2008
- Fisherman killing: India registers formal complaint with Sri Lanka - Jan 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu fishermen protest against killings by Lankan navy - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: chennai, chief minister, diplomatic row, endeavour, hunger strike, indian fishermen, killings, m karunanidhi, palk strait, palk straits, protests, sri lanka, sri lankan navy, state government, statewide hunger