Tamil Nadu Rajya Sabha bypoll on July 22June 24th, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 24 (IANS) The bypoll for a Rajya Sabha seat from Tamil Nadu will be held July 22, the Election Commission announced Friday.
The seat was held by AIADMK’s K.V. Ramalingam, who resigned after being elected to the state assembly in the April polls. He also became a minister in the J. Jayalalithaa ministry.
In a statement issued here, Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said the poll notification will be issued July 5, the last date for filing of nomination will be July 12 and scrutiny of nominations will take place the next day.
Polling is scheduled for July 22.
The AIADMK-led front has won a whopping 203 seats in the recently concluded assembly elections.
On its own, AIADMK has won 150 seats, including the four smaller parties which fought on its symbol. Among its allies, DMDK won 29, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) 10 and the Communist Party of India (CPI) 9.
On the other hand, the rival DMK-led front won just 31 seats out of 234 it contested. Of that, the DMK won 23 seats, the PMK three and the Congress five.
In Tamil Nadu, the support of around 33 legislators is necessary to get elected to the Rajya Sabha.
There are 18 Rajya Sabha members from Tamil Nadu.
Six members - Kanimozhi and N. Siva of the DMK, A. Elavarasan and V. Maitreyan of the AIADMK, B.S. Gnanadesikan of Congress and D. Raja of the Communist Party of India (CPI) will retire in 2013.
Another six - S. Amir Ali Jinnah and Vasanthi Stanley of the DMK, G.K. Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan of the Congress, T.K. Rangarajan of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and N. Balaganga of the AIADMK will retire in 2014.
Presently, the AIADMK has five members and the DMK seven members in the Rajya Sabha. The other members belong to the Congress, the CPI-M and the CPI.
- PMK leader Ramadoss' Rajya Sabha dreams go awry - May 15, 2011
- Counting delayed in Tamil Nadu's Tiruppattur constituency - May 14, 2011
- AIADMK candidates file papers for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 04, 2010
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- AIADMK, CPI-M in talks on seat sharing - Feb 19, 2011
- Left rules out returning to DMK fold - Mar 07, 2011
- No indication of AIADMK supporting Congress: CPI-M - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK candidates file nominations for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 02, 2010
- CPI-M to join hands with AIADMK for Tamil Nadu polls - Jan 25, 2011
- AIADMK to contest two Rajya Sabha seats - May 25, 2010
- Jayalalithaa charges Puducherry's Rangasamy with betrayal - May 19, 2011
- DMDK fields its own mayoral candidates - Sep 23, 2011
- Mamata, Jaya crush Left, DMK; Congress sweeps Assam (Night Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK, AINRC win by-polls in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Oct 20, 2011
- AIADMK-CPI-M seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: ali jinnah, amir ali, assembly elections, chief electoral officer, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dmk, j jayalalithaa, jayanthi, last date, natarajan, pmk, rajya sabha, ramalingam, rangarajan, state assembly, tamil nadu, vasan, vasanthi