Tamil Nadu firing: Ramadoss demands cops’ suspensionSeptember 13th, 2011 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 13 (IANS) PMK founder S. Ramadoss Tuesday demanded the suspension of police officials involved in the firing in Ramanathapuram district of Tamil Nadu two days ago in which six people were killed.
In a statement issued here, Ramadoss charged the police with mishandling the situation and said they did not take necessary security measures to manage people gathering in large numbers.
He said the police made a big mistake of arresting TMMK founder John Pandian at a time when the situation in Ramanathapuram was tense after the murder of a school student earlier.
Ramadoss said the police covered up their mistakes by resorting to firing and killing innocent people.
Condemning the police statement that firing was in self defence, the TMK founder said the cops did not follow the usual procedures prior to opening fire.
He said that according to rules, police should fire below the knees but bullets hit the heads of the victims.
A similar charge is levied by NGO People’s Watch based in Madurai. It also demanded a second post-mortem, saying that not all the six people were killed in firing.
The police released Pandian whose arrest was the trigger for Sunday’s violence in Paramakudi that led to the police firing.
Meanwhile, an uneasy and tense situation is prevailing in Ramanathapuram district, two days after the firing in Paramakudi.
Most of the shops and educational institutions in the district were closed. Bus services too remained suspended in some areas.
- Three dead as police fire on mob in Tamil Nadu - Sep 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu police firing: Toll rises to six - Sep 12, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders inquiry into police firing - Sep 12, 2011
- Ex-judge to probe deaths in Tamil Nadu police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Crime Branch starts probe into boy's killing - Jul 04, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- DMK MP arrested, lodged in Madurai prison - Mar 29, 2011
- Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly on Mullaperiyar issue - Dec 11, 2011
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- DMK demands all-party meet on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- Arrested woman found hanging in police station - Aug 14, 2011
- Officials kill truck driver, spark violent protests - Sep 26, 2011
- Maoists kill two people in Chhattisgarh - Nov 05, 2010
- Three held for murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,