Tamil Nadu beefs up security along Kerala borderDecember 11th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 10 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Saturday beefed up security at areas near Kerala border to prevent any violent incidents over Mullaperiyar Dam issue, a senior police official said.
Speaking to reporters here, Director General of Police (DGP) K.Ramanujam said around 500 policemen have been deployed in the border areas and the situation is monitored by an inspector general of police and other officials.
Ramanujam said devotees going to Sabarimala temple in Kerala are being diverted through safer routes.
He said special control room has been set up at Gudalur near Kerala border where complaints can be lodged.
According to him, normal traffic is expected to start in the Gudalur and Kumuli segment soon.
Tension prevailed in the areas bordering Kerala after devotees from Tamil Nadu were attacked by anti-social elements inside the neighbouring state after the Mullaperiyar Dam issue got highly politicized recently.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the dam, built under an 1886 accord between the then Maharaja of Travancore and the erstwhile British Raj.
While it is located in Kerala, the control of the Dam is with Tamil Nadu and its waters serves the latter.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam’s storage capacity to be increased by raising the dam height from 136 feet (41.5 metres) to 142 feet (43 metres) as per Supreme Court’s order.
Kerala wants a new dam as it would be under its control and has been raising the issue of earthquake threat though experts have ruled out any danger to the dam.
- Let Kerala give up two taluks to end dam row: Karunanidhi - Jan 12, 2012
- Team for Mullaperiyar Dam contingency plan on hold - Dec 27, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
- Clashes at Kerala-Tamil Nadu border post over Mullaperiyar - Dec 06, 2011
- Chandy hopes Mullaperiyar issue will be amicably resolved - Dec 12, 2011
- PM calls for restraint on Mullaperiyar Dam issue - Dec 14, 2011
- Chandy demands new dam in place of Mullaperiyar - Dec 21, 2011
- DMK demands all-party meet on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly on Mullaperiyar issue - Dec 11, 2011
- Mullaperiyar: Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly Thursday - Dec 14, 2011
- Now ad war over Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 19, 2011
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu officials to discuss Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 05, 2011
- Kerala again speaks of new Mullaperiyar dam - Jan 03, 2012
- PM yet to reply on demand for CISF at Mullaperiyar: Jayalalithaa - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: beefs, border areas, british raj, devotees, dgp, director general, earthquake threat, inspector general, loggerheads, mullaperiyar dam, neighbouring state, new dam, police official, policemen, ramanujam, segment, social elements, storage capacity, travancore, violent incidents