Tamil MPs ask India to pressure Sri Lanka to end killingsOctober 25th, 2008 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 25 (IANS) A group of Tamil MPs from Sri Lanka sympathetic to the Tamil Tigers Saturday sought sustained Indian diplomatic pressure to force Colombo to start talking to the guerrillas in a bid to end the ethnic conflict.”An Indian intervention is needed to force the war-hungry Colombo regime to come to the negotiation table, work out with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) a peaceful political solution to our issue within the ambit of a federal, united Sri Lanka and stop its military moves against innocent Tamil civilians,” Tamil National Alliance (TNA) MP Sri Kantha told reporters.
“Over 250,000 Tamils have become refugees in our own homeland and several thousands of our brethren are being killed by the military. Absence of food and medicines to the sick and the infirm … are also claiming lives,” he said.
“Habitations in Wanni and Kilinochcyi have been reduced to rubble in the bombing that have killed countless children and the aged. People are suffering without food. The undeclared war must end. The Sri Lankan government must begin negotiations with the LTTE without delay,” added M.K. Shivaji Lingam, another MP from the same party.
The MPs also expressed sincere appreciation for the pro-active measures including Friday’s massive human chain protest held in Chennai and called for political parties in India to speak in a united voice.
Political parties in Tamil Nadu, which is separated from Sri Lanka by a strip of sea, have threatened to resign their seats from the Indian parliament by Oct 29 if New Delhi does not bring about a ceasefire in the island nation by that date.
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sri Lankan MPs meet Karunanidhi - Jul 20, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamil party accuses army of attacking its election meeting - Jun 18, 2011
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF - Jun 17, 2011
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Only Colombo can resolve Tamil problems: Malaysian MPs - Nov 29, 2011
- Advani urged to bring about truce in Sri Lanka - Dec 21, 2008
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- If India agrees, Tamil party ready to ask LTTE to go for talks - Oct 12, 2008
- India votes for US resolution on Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Krishna meets Sri Lankan Tamil, Muslim leaders - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka warns ex-Tamil rebels against revolting - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: active measures, ethnic conflict, indian parliament, innocent tamil civilians, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, negotiation table, political parties in india, sri lankan government, tamil tigers