Tamil Eelam is my unrealised dream: KarunanidhiMarch 23rd, 2012 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 22 (IANS) DMK president M.Karunanidhi Thursday termed a Tamil Eelam his unrealised dream and he will fight for its realisation, while citing rivalry between the Sri Lankan Tamil militant groups as the reason that prevented its formation.
Asked by reporters here on his reaction to passing of US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nation Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and whether there is a possibility of Tamil Eelam in the future, Karunanidhi said: “As far as I am concerned that is the goal.”
He said even in the past, whenever he was asked about his unrealised dream, he had answered “Tamil Eelam”.
To another question, he said the war between the Tamil militant groups to establish who is big and who has the capability to achieve the goal prevented the formation of Tamil Eelam.
He thanked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi for India voting in favour of the US resolution.
Karunanidhi said he has faxed a letter to Manmohan Singh and Gandhi urging them to suitable action to prevent attacks on Tamils in the island nation as a retaliatory action to the resolution.
To a query that India voted in favour of the resolution only due to the pressure exerted by DMK and the party could have given a similar pressure three years back when the fight between the Tamil Tigers and the Lankan army was on, Karunanidhi said: “We did give similar pressures and everybody knows who spoilt the views then.”
On the assistance to be given to Lankan Tamils by the Indian government, Karunanidhi said: “We have told the centre as to what has to be done and the centre too has listed them out.”
Karunanidhi said the passing of the resolution will pressurise the Lankan government to atone for the atrocities they had committed to the Tamils there.
“The Sri Lankan government has been forced to bow before the world and have to explain its acts,” he said.
- India may vote against Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- DMK calls meeting on Sri Lanka resolution - Mar 17, 2012
- Prevent attacks on Tamils, Karunanidhi tells PM - Mar 22, 2012
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- India to vote against Sri Lanka: PM - Mar 19, 2012
- Don't support Sri Lanka at UNHCR, say Tamil parties - Feb 29, 2012
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka urges India to review stand - Mar 20, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- UN resolution won't change ties with India, US: Colombo - Mar 22, 2012
- India should support referendum for Tamil Eelam: Karunanidhi - Apr 18, 2012
- Sri Lankan dailies go to town over India's UN vote - Mar 23, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: dmk, indian government, island nation, lankan army, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, militant groups, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, retaliatory action, sonia gandhi, sri lankan government, suitable action, tamil eelam, tamil tigers, tamils, unhrc, united nation