Tajikistan votes in parliamentary electionFebruary 28th, 2010 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Dushanbe, Feb 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Polls opened Sunday in Tajikistan’s parliamentary election, with the ruling People’s Democratic Party of Tajikistan led by incumbent President Emomali Rakhmon expected to consolidate its power in the legislature.
The People’s Democratic Party is the largest among the eight officially registered political parties in Tajikistan, numbering 85,000 members. The party currently holds 52 of the 63 seats in parliament.
Rakhmon, who has ruled the impoverished Central Asian nation of 7.5 million for almost two decades, was re-elected leader of the People’s Democratic Party in December 2009.
Rakhmon’s eldest son, Rustam Emomali, believed to be his father’s possible successor, is running for a deputy’s seat in the Dushanbe city council.
- Clinton's visit a big event for Tajikistan - Oct 23, 2011
- French troops to stay in Afghanistan after 2014 - Jan 01, 2012
- Japanese parliament speaker is dead - Nov 05, 2011
- Putin proposes Medvedev as prime minister - May 07, 2012
- Kyrgyz acting PM resigns - Sep 01, 2012
- One killed, 30 hurt in Tajikistan blast (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- 25 hurt in Tajikistan blast - Sep 03, 2010
- Teenager jailed for killing Russian Santa Claus - May 04, 2012
- Foreigners in Moscow may be fingerprinted - Oct 20, 2011
- Putin's party keeps majority in Duma - Dec 05, 2011
- EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitment - Nov 08, 2011
- Tajikistan to release BBC reporter - Jul 14, 2011
- United Russia retains parliamentary majority - Dec 10, 2011
- Egyptians vote in presidential poll run-off - Jun 16, 2012
- Zardari returns after China visit - Sep 03, 2011