Tainted Bangaru quits BJP executiveApril 30th, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) former president Bangaru Laxman Monday resigned from the party’s national executive, following a Delhi court last week sentencing him to four years of rigorous imprisonment for accepting a bribe of Rs.1 lakh.
“Bangaru Laxman has submitted his resignation to party president Nitin Gadkari… his resignation from the national executive has been accepted,” BJP’s national media convenor Shrikant Sharma told reporters here.
Immediately after the special Central Bureau of Investigation court verdict Friday, the BJP had distanced itself from Laxman saying he accepted the bribe in his individual capacity and the party was not related to the case.
The special CBI court had convicted Laxman for accepting a bribe of Rs.1 lakh from Tehelka journalists who conducted a sting operation posing as representatives of a fake arms dealer.
The CBI had filed a charge sheet against Laxman in 2006 under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Bangaru Laxman: A chronology of corruption case - Apr 27, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman sentenced to four years' jail (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Sting illegal, Bangaru tells court - Sep 04, 2012
- Court decision in Bangaru Laxman graft case Friday - Apr 26, 2012
- CBI issued notice on Bangaru Laxman's appeal - May 11, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court decision April 27 on Bangaru Laxman graft case - Apr 22, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman gets four years' jail for bribery (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman appeals against jail term - May 09, 2012
- Bangaru's conviction a vindication for Tehelka: Editor - Apr 27, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman convicted for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- BJP distances itself from Bangaru, Congress welcomes verdict (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Congress, BJP trade charges following Laxman's sentencing - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: bangaru, bharatiya janata party, bribe, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, convenor, court verdict, delhi court, former president, laxman, national executive, New Delhi, nitin, party president, prevention of corruption act, resignation, rigorous imprisonment, rs 1, shrikant, sting operation