Syrian TV denies intelligence chief’s murderAugust 27th, 2012 - 3:38 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, Aug 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A pro-government Syrian TV channel, al-Dunya, has denied media reports that said Jamil Hassan, head of Syria’s air force intelligence, had been assassinated.
Citing Syrian opposition sources, Al-Arabiya TV reported Sunday that the air force intelligence chief had been shot dead in his Damascus office by one of his aides, a secret supporter of the opposition.
Hassan is considered one of President Bashar al-Assad’s closest advisors.
“The information about the assassination of Syria’s air force intelligence chief Jamil Hassan is absolutely false,” the al-Dunya channel said.
Meanwhile, in another development, Syrian Vice President Farouk Al-Sharaa made his first public appearance in several weeks Sunday, ending media rumours that he had defected to Jordan, according to Lebanon’s Hezbollah-affiliated Al-Manar TV.
The official attended a meeting with Alaeddin Boroujerdi, head of Iran’s national security and foreign policy parliamentary committee.
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Syria fires at another Turkish jet - Jun 26, 2012
- US drones fly over Syria to monitor situation - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Syria dismisses Obama threat as election ploy - Aug 21, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- Assad offers Eid prayers - Aug 19, 2012
- Saudi Arabia closes embassy in Syria - Mar 15, 2012
- Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebels - Jul 25, 2012
- Syrian opposition launches anti-government iPhone app - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: air force intelligence, al arabiya, al arabiya tv, al manar tv, bashar al assad, damascus, dunya, farouk, first public appearance, hassan, hezbollah, intelligence chief, jamil, opposition sources, parliamentary committee, president bashar, ria novosti, syrian opposition, syrian tv, tv channel