Syrian parliamentary poll plan ridiculous: USMarch 14th, 2012 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US does not take seriously a desicion by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to hold parliamentary elections in the country hit by flagrant violence, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Tuesday.
“Parliamentary elections for a rubber-stamp parliament in the middle of the kind of violence that we’re seeing across the country is ridiculous,” Nuland told reporters in Washington.
Al-Assad, who is facing unprecedented international pressure to end his crackdown on protesters that has claimed thousands of lives, announced earlier Tuesday that the parliamentary vote will take place May 7.
The elections will be the first under the country’s new constitution that enables representatives of all registered parties to run for parliamentary seats.
The new legislation, designed to end the ruling Ba’ath party’s monopoly of power, was approved in a referendum Feb 27, almost a year after an outbreak of popular protests against al-Assad’s rule.
Anti-government forces, who are pressing for al-Assad’s resignation, have refused to recognise the new constitution’s legitimacy and are unlikely to run in the polls.
- Syria sets May 7 for parliamentary polls - Mar 13, 2012
- Assad orders formation of new government - Jun 06, 2012
- Syrian president orders for new constitution - Oct 16, 2011
- Syrian President al-Assad signs draft constitution - Feb 28, 2012
- Russia not considering sheltering Syrian president - Mar 08, 2012
- Syria, Egypt in tit-for-tat envoy withdrawal - Feb 20, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Putin speaks out on Syria settlement plan - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador from Syria - Aug 08, 2011
- Terrorist infiltration attempt foiled in Syria - Apr 28, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: ath party, bashar al assad, crackdown, department spokeswoman, desicion, government forces, legitimacy, new legislation, outbreak, parliamentary elections, parliamentary poll, parliamentary seats, parliamentary vote, president bashar, protesters, resignation, ria novosti, rubber stamp, syrian president bashar al, victoria nuland