Syrian forces storm rebel-held AleppoAugust 14th, 2012 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Syrian government troops have stormed the rebel-held city of Aleppo using tanks and armoured vehicles, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Clashes with rebel fighters were reported in the Saif al-Dawla neighbourhood Monday.
Observers have viewed the battle for Aleppo as a major watershed in the Syrian conflict that could decide the future of the armed uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
Aleppo, a city of 2.5 million people, has remained the hotspot of Syria’s conflict since last week, when pro-government forces launched a massive assault on the city in a colossal push to regain control of key territories across the country.
The media proclaimed the fight for Aleppo “the mother of all battles”.
The Syrian conflict has claimed between 14,000 and 20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- US says it is trying to force Assad to step down - Aug 01, 2012
- 17 killed in Syrian car bombing - Sep 10, 2012
- Syrian crisis should not have military solution: UN chief - Sep 21, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- UNSC calls emergency meet on Syria massacre - May 28, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Japanese, Syrian journalists killed in clashes - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: armed uprising, armoured vehicles, bashar al assad, clashes, government forces, government troops, hotspot, massive assault, mother of all battles, neighbourhood, observatory, observers, opposition groups, president bashar, rebel fighters, ria novosti, saif, syrian forces, syrian government, watershed