Syrian envoy to Iraq defectsJuly 13th, 2012 - 10:01 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, July 13 (IANS/AKI) Syria’s ambassador to Iraq has defected to the opposition and called on politicians and the military to do the same.
“I announce that from this moment I abandon the Syrian regime and end my membership in the Baath party to go over to the opposition,” said Nawaf Fares, the first senior diplomat to defect, in a video message broadcast by Al-Jazeera.
“I invite the military to go over to the part of the rebels and turn their cannons and tanks against those who killed our people,” he was quoted as saying.
Fares said he abandoned President Bashar al-Assad’s government Wednesday “after seeing the recent massacres carried out in Damascus”.
Fares was appointed ambassador to Baghdad in 2008.
Syria Thursday said it fired Fares after he announced his defection, state-run news agency Sana reported.
Around 15,000 people have died in clashes that began soon after the start of anti-government protests in March 2011. The UN and opposition groups blame the government for most of the violence, while Assad attributes it to “terrorists”.
- Russian warships head to Syria - Jul 10, 2012
- Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebels - Jul 25, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- August deadliest month in Syria; 5,000 killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Syrian journalists killed in TV station attack - Jun 28, 2012
- Italy recalls ambassador to Syria, urges EU countries to do the same - Aug 02, 2011
- Amnesty finds evidence of state-sponsored abuse in Syria - Jun 15, 2012
- 20 Palestinians killed in Syria attack - Aug 03, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Syria frees hundreds of political prisoners - Dec 29, 2011
- 'Anonymous' hacks Syrian government website - Aug 08, 2011
- Syrian president orders for new constitution - Oct 16, 2011
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: aki, al jazeera, ambassador to iraq, baath party, bashar al assad, cannons, clashes, damascus, defection, diplomat, massacres, nawaf, news agency, opposition groups, president bashar, protests, rebels, run news, syrian regime, video message