Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombingJuly 18th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Syrian Defence Minister Daoud Rajha was killed in a suicide bombing in Damascus Wednesday, just hours before a crucial UN vote on the violence-plagued Middle East country, state television reported.
The blast occurred during a meeting of ministers and security officials at national security headquarters.
President Bashar al-Assad’s brother-in-law, Deputy Defence Minister Assef Shawkat, was also fatally injured in the attack, the Hezbollah’s al-Manar TV said.
Several other top officials, including the interior minister, are in a critical condition, TV reports said.
The attack came as heavy fighting raged in the capital.
The rebel Free Syria Army said earlier this week it had launched the final battle for Damascus, which had so far seen little of the violence that has claimed thousands of lives across Syria.
The 15-member UN Security Council will vote later Wednesday on a new Western-backed resolution on Syria which could lead to tough new sanctions against Assad’s regime.
Russia has said it will block the resolution and has called for all sides in the conflict to implement UN special envoy Kofi Annan’s floundering peace plan.
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Syria situation 'spinning out of control' : US - Jul 19, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Assad's wife not in Russia: Syrian envoy - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: al manar tv, assef shawkat, bashar al assad, critical condition, damascus, daoud, deputy defence minister, dg, hezbollah, interior minister, kofi annan, peace plan, president bashar, rajha, ria novosti, security headquarters, security officials, state television, tv reports, un security council