Sympathy vote helped IUML come back to power in Kerala: KunhalikuttyJune 14th, 2011 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 14 (IANS) Kerala’s new Industry Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty feels that the ousted Left Front government’s efforts to malign his image in the Ice Cream Parlour sex scandal helped his party come back to power.
Kunhalikutty, a powerful leader of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), had run into a lean patch in 2005 when he had to quit as a minister following allegations of his involvement in the infamous Kozhikode ice cream parlour sex case, which eventually led to his defeat in the 2006 assembly polls.
“I was haunted, especially in the last one year of the previous Left government, by (then chief minister V.S.) Achuthanandan whose only aim was to trap me as an accused in that case and despite his best efforts which continued even after the last assembly polls, he failed to do so. And it was this clandestine operation which led to some sort of a huge sympathy wave in favour of us and we came out hugely successful,” said Kunhalikutty at his first press conference here after becoming minister.
The infamous sex case in the early 1990s involved an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode as its base, giving the scandal its name. A minor girl alleged that she was molested by the IUML leader. The case was shut in 2006 but it was reopened after Kunhalikutty’s brother-in-law K.A. Rauf sought to spill the beans with a series of press conferences during the last week of January this year.
Former chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan ordered a re-investigation in the case before the April 13 assembly polls this year.
- Achuthanandan seeks CBI probe in sex scandal case - Sep 02, 2011
- IUML becomes second-biggest party in UDF - May 13, 2011
- Ice cream parlour sex case is Kerala poll issue - Apr 12, 2011
- Kerala's IUML elects Kunhalikutty as legislative party leader - May 16, 2011
- Kerala sex scandal case: Police get a month to finish probe - Dec 22, 2011
- Sex case probe: Achuthanandan told to appear in court - Jun 19, 2012
- Achuthanandan's fears unfounded in sex case probe: High court - Nov 23, 2011
- Two judges helped Kunhalikutty in sex scandal case, alleges relative - Feb 01, 2011
- Two girls' death linked to Kerala sex scandal - Mar 17, 2011
- Kerala ice cream parlour sex scandal case makes news - Jan 29, 2011
- Former judge quizzed in Kerala sex scandal case - May 08, 2011
- Sex scandal: Achuthanandan's plea for CBI probe dismissed - Sep 27, 2011
- Court dismisses Achuthanandan plea for sex probe report - May 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan worried due to son's case: Kunhalikutty - Sep 03, 2011
- An ice cream in Kerala that's frozen in time (Kerala Newsletter) - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: aim, allegations, assembly polls, best efforts, chief minister, clandestine operation, early 1990s, favour, industry minister, june 14, kozhikode, kunhalikutty, last assembly, lean patch, muslim league, press conferences, sex case, sex scandal, sympathy, v s achuthanandan