Swiss lab agrees to test Arafat’s remains for poloniumSeptember 4th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ramalllah, Sep 4 (IANS) A Swiss scientific lab has agreed to exhume the body of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat for additional tests for possible polonium poisoning, a Palestinian official announced Tuesday.
The Lausanne-based Institute of Radiation Physics responded positively to a request from the Palestinian National Authority (PNA), which invited the institution to send experts to the West Bank to take samples from Arafat’s body, said Tawfiq Al Tirawi, head of the Palestinian committee investigating Arafat’s death in 2004, reported Xinhua.
However, the lab said in its letter that it also needs an approval from Arafat’s widow to begin the practical steps, Al Tirawi added.
Arafat’s widow, Suha, said earlier that she wants the truth about her husband’s death to be unveiled to everybody.
Arafat died at a French hospital near Paris from an undiagnosed illness. Israel kept him locked inside his West Bank compound for about two years and allowed him to leave for France only when he fell ill.
In July, pan-Arab satellite television channel al-Jazeera aired an investigative report suggesting that Arafat died of radioactive poisoning.
The Qatar-based channel used the Swiss lab to test Arafat’s personal belongings purchased from his wife. The institute said it had found significant traces of polonium-210 on Arafat’s clothes and toothbrush.
- Arafat's remains to be tested for Polonium poisoning - Aug 24, 2012
- Yasser Afrafat's body to be exhumed - Jul 04, 2012
- Arab League to form panel to probe Arafat's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Yasser Arafat was poisoned, says doctor - Jul 13, 2012
- Al-Jazeera office shut down after Arafat murder bid report - Jul 15, 2009
- Al-Jazeera TV banned from West Bank - Jul 16, 2009
- Ban on al-Jazeera operations in West Bank lifted - Jul 20, 2009
- Al-Jazeera English wins top journalism award for coverage of Middle East unrest - May 05, 2011
- Sadat's daughter goes to court to defend father over allegations he poisoned Nasser - Sep 21, 2010
- Palestinians ask Israel to amend economic agreement - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, french hospital, investigative report, leader yasser arafat, palestinian committee, palestinian leader yasser, palestinian national authority, palestinian official, pan arab, personal belongings, polonium 210, radiation physics, satellite television, suha, swiss lab, tawfiq, television channel, undiagnosed illness, xinhua, yasser arafat