Swamy can’t be arrested till Jan 30: court (Lead)January 13th, 2012 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy, accused of writing an inflammatory article, can’t be arrested till Jan 30, the Delhi High Court ruled Friday while asking him to refrain from writing such pieces.
“(We) seek undertaking from your client that he will not write any such article (which can spread enmity between communities) in future,” Justice M.L. Mehta told senior counsel K.T.S Tulsi, who appeared for Swamy. Tulsi gave the assurance to the court.
The court also issued notice to Delhi Police, directing it not to take any action against Swamy till the next hearing Jan 30.
Defending Swamy, Tulsi said: “The article is based on a book which was published 2005, but no incident has taken place till date, it has been six years there is no reaction.”
He said it was the DNA newspaper that urged Swamy to write the article.
He said that after Swamy “exposed the 2G scam”, police suddenly filed a case against him.
“We are a secular country and we should respect the system which we have,” Justice Mehta said.
“We cannot compare our country with other European countries like Britain. We have a diversity and we should be proud of it,” he observed.
Swamy moved the Delhi High Court seeking anticipatory bail in the case registered by Delhi Police against him Oct 3, 2011.
Swamy is facing a criminal case for writing an article in DNA in which he suggested that voting rights of Indian Muslims be revoked.
- 'Swamy can't be arrested till Jan 30' - Jan 13, 2012
- Subramanian Swamy gets anticipatory bail - Jan 30, 2012
- Subramanian Swamy gets anticipatory bail (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Subramanian Swamy faces criminal case for anti-Muslim article - Oct 03, 2011
- Case against Swamy for anti-Muslim views - Aug 02, 2011
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda's anticipatory bail plea decision Friday - Aug 16, 2012
- Suicide notes are not gospel truth: Kanda lawyer - Aug 14, 2012
- IIT, Swamy told to settle salary issue amicably (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Congress slams Swamy, says Chidambaram clean - Aug 24, 2012
- Mentally ill can't be hanged, Bhullar tells apex court - Nov 09, 2011
- Chidambaram should face contempt of court trial: Swamy - Aug 23, 2012
- Chidambaram is guilty in 2G scam, says Subramanian Swamy - Oct 04, 2011