Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties’May 30th, 2012 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, May 29 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday said that pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi had told him about the “difficulties” she faces.
He was speaking to reporters while returning from Myanmar after a three-day official visit during which met Myanmar President Thein Sein and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
“She (Suu Kyi) is now a legislator. She was telling me of difficulties…our problems are very similar,” said the prime minister who had an over 45-minute-long meeting at a hotel in Yangon with Suu Kyi.
The prime minister said that “most of the discussion with Suu Kyi was concentrated on the process of national reconciliation”.
Thein Sein is carrying out dramatic reforms in the country that has seen nearly five decades of military rule. Suu Kyi was sworn in as a parliamentarian May 2.
- Manmohan meets Suu Kyi, hails India ties (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Suu Kyi to visit Britain - Apr 18, 2012
- Myanmar president meets leaders of 14 political parties - Aug 04, 2012
- Cameron on first visit to Myanmar - Apr 13, 2012
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- An India-educated democracy beacon in Myanmar - May 29, 2012
- For first time, Myanmar state media reports Suu Kyi's US trip - Sep 21, 2012
- Manmohan arrives in Myanmar: First Indian PM to visit in 25 years (Second Lead) - May 27, 2012
- French foreign minister visits Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- India invites Myanmar's Suu Kyi - Jul 23, 2011
- Manmohan, Thein Sein embark on 'new journey' (Third Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Suu Kyi to visit Britain, address parliament - May 21, 2012
Tags: air india, aung san suu kyi, decades, democracy leader, dramatic reforms, hotel in yangon, legislator, manmohan, manmohan singh, military rule, myanmar, national reconciliation, nobel laureate, parliamentarian, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, san suu kyi