Sushma Swaraj unveils Ashoka paintingSeptember 2nd, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) BJP leader Sushma Swaraj has unveiled a painting depicting Emperor Asoka to mark the 2,600th year of the advent of Buddhism in Sri Lanka.
The painting was unveiled at the Sri Lanka high commission here late Saturday.
It depicts Asoka requesting his son Arhat Mahinda to set off to Sri Lanka from Sanchi in Vidisha with the message of Buddhism.
Sushma Swaraj represents Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh in the Lok Sabha.
The painting also shows the sapling of the sacred Bodhi tree being received in Anuradhapura in Sri Lanka in the 3rd century BC.
High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam said the painting was a celebration of the historic civilisational ties between India and Sri Lanka.
“It is a story that still inspires and can continue to provide inspiration to the people of our two nations,” a statement quoted him as saying.
Sushma Swaraj recalled the important cultural and Buddhist links between India and Sri Lanka and reiterated India’s commitment to the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the island nation.
She said she was impressed by the resettlement, rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts of the Sri Lankan government and the approaches by all parties towards reconciliation.
She expressed the hope that the reconciliation process would move swiftly ensuring peace, prosperity and a bright future for Sri Lanka, the statement said.
- A camera records India-Sri Lanka partnership - Feb 06, 2012
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- BJP takes up fishermen killings with Sri Lanka envoy - Feb 11, 2011
- Sri Lankan temple paintings in Delhi - Mar 24, 2012
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Feast of Buddhist arts, culture in Delhi from Monday - Nov 24, 2011
- Maha Bodhi attack: Sri Lanka asks India for security of monks - Jan 25, 2011
- Sri Lanka envoy apologises to Indian MPs - Mar 15, 2012
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- 'Misquoted' Sri Lankan envoy apologises to Indian MPs (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sri Lanka keen on tourism ties with Goa - May 30, 2011
- Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talks - Sep 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka invites Jaya, Swaraj to visit Colombo in September - Aug 26, 2011
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Patna's Buddha Smriti Park (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Valuable letters handed over to Sarnath museum - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: anuradhapura, arhat, bodhi tree, bright future, buddhism, emperor asoka, high commissioner, island nation, Lok Sabha, reconciliation, reconstruction efforts, resettlement, sanchi, sapling, sovereignty, sri lanka high commission, sri lankan government, sushma swaraj, territorial integrity, vidisha