Sushma Swaraj tweets her defence on Rajghat danceJune 7th, 2011 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) In the eye of criticism over dancing with her party colleagues at Rajghat, Sushma Swaraj Tuesday tweeted that they are nationalists and will therefore sing and dance to the song of nationalism.
“We will sing the song of nationalism and dance because we are nationalists. The people who dislike it are suffering from mental slavery,” Swaraj, leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha tweeted.
Swaraj had danced with her Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) colleagues at the 24-hour-long protest at the Rajghat, Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial, Sunday. This sparked a controversy as the Congress party accused her of hurting the sanctity of the place.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari commented: “At the samadhi (memorial) of the Father of the Nation, if you are going to dance, what kind of sanctity of the place are you maintaining?”.
Congress general secretary B.K. Hariprasad said: “By dancing at the samadhi of Mahatma Gandhi, Sushma Swaraj has not only insulted Gandhiji but all the freedom fighters and the entire countrymen”.
“They should be ashamed. They should seek apology of the people,” party general secretary Digvijay Singh said in Lucknow.
- Sushma Swaraj hits back at Congress on Rajghat dance (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Netizens slam Sushma's Rajghat jig (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Netizens slam Sushma's Rajghat jig - Jun 08, 2011
- My father dances better than Swaraj, says Omar - Jun 07, 2011
- BJP should apologise for Sushma's dance at Rajghat: Congress - Jun 07, 2011
- Ramdev is a 'mask' for RSS, says Congress - Jun 06, 2011
- President, PM pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2011
- Bush visit was memorable, Obama's very special: Rajghat official - Nov 08, 2010
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
- Delhi pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi - Oct 02, 2010
- Anna gets Ramdev backing, Congress and BJP at war (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2011
- From shelters and slums, they gather to sing for Gandhi - Sep 30, 2011
- Hazare begins daylong fast - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, congress party, countrymen, digvijay singh, freedom fighters, gandhiji, general secretary, hariprasad, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, mahatma gandhi, manish, mental slavery, nationalists, party colleagues, sanctity, song of nationalism, spokesperson, sushma swaraj, tewari