Sushma Swaraj launches BJP poll campaign in OrissaMarch 16th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) kick started its election campaign in Orissa with an election rally here Monday addressed by party leader Sushma Swaraj.
Christened as ‘Vijay Sankalp’ rally, it was the first mass gathering by BJP in the state after its 11-year alliance with Biju Janata Dal (BJD) led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik collapsed March 7.
Describing the BJD as “betrayer”, Swaraj told a gathering of thousands that BJP is determined to teach the chief minister a lesson.
“I have come here to tell Naveen Patnaik that people will not tolerate him and throw him out of power” Swaraj said in her speech in Hindi.
Mentioning the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati in her speech, Swaraj said: “Those who should have been behind the bars are moving scot-free and our workers are in jail.”
Swaraj also blamed the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) for going soft on terrorism.
“There was a stronger law to deal with terrorism but the UPA government abolished it,” Swaraj said.
The BJP appears to be ahead of other parties in declaring names of candidates for at least seven of the state’s 21 Lok Sabha constituencies. Two other major parties BJD and Congress have not yet announced their candidates.
Orissa will go to the polls for Lok Sabha and the assembly in two phases April 16 and 23.
- BJP to make VHP leader's murder poll issue in Orissa (Lead) - Mar 16, 2009
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Government wins first NCTC battle in parliament (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: betrayer, bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, bjp, chief minister, congress, election campaign, election rally, lok sabha constituencies, naveen patnaik, orissa, party leader, poll campaign, polls, progressive alliance, saraswati, swami, swaraj, terrorism, UPA