Surjeet Singh gets Rs.5 lakh from Punjab governmentJuly 19th, 2012 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 19 (IANS) Having spent over 30 years of his life in Pakistani jails on spying charges, Punjab resident Surjeet Singh was Thursday given financial assistance of Rs.500,000 by the state government.
Surjeet, who was released late last month, was given the cheque by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, a spokesperson for the Chief Minister’s Office said.
Badal also assured Surjeet that his son Kulwinder would be given a regular government job based on his qualifications. Surjeet’s family depends on the meagre income they get from agriculture.
During the meeting at the chief minister’s residence here, Badal felicitated Surjeet for rendering great service to the nation and assured him that the state government was committed for extending all possible help for the rehabilitation of his family within the legal framework.
Though Surjeet had languished in Pakistani jails for the cause of the nation, the union government made no efforts for his rehabilitation, Badal said.
Despite the fact that he had spent his youth in jail, the union government had not bothered to help his family, he agreed.
Expressing gratitude to the chief minister, Surjeet said he was indebted to the state government for extending the much needed support to him and his family in their hour of crisis.
Surjeet, 69, arrived in his native village Phidde in Punjab’s Ferozepur district, 280 km from here, June 28 after more than 30 years of incarceration in Pakistan.
He had been arrested on charges of spying. Surjeet was sentenced to death but it was later commuted to life imprisonment.
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet given rousing welcome in Punjab's Phidde village - Jun 29, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet met by children, to meet wife later - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet freed but reaches Wagah in handcuffs (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- For Surjeet Singh, life unfolds a guessing game - Jul 01, 2012
- Surjeet appeals for release of prisoners on both sides - Jun 28, 2012
- In melee, wife unable to meet Surjeet (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: agriculture, badal, cheque, chief minister, expressing gratitude, ferozepur, financial assistance, government job, incarceration, jails, lakh, legal framework, life imprisonment, meagre income, pakistan, rs 500, spokesperson, state government, union government