Supreme Court turns down Sanjay Dutt’s pleaMarch 31st, 2009 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt will not be able to contest the forthcoming general elections as the Supreme Court Tuesday refused to suspend his conviction in a criminal case.
A bench headed by Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan refused to stay Dutt’s conviction, saying his case does not have parity with that of cricketer-turned-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) parliamentarian Navjot Singh Sidhu, who had resigned his seat after his conviction in a case of unintentional killing.
The bench said Sidhu had pleaded for suspension of his conviction only after quitting the seat held by him earlier.
Dutt, sentenced to six years in jail by a Mumbai anti-terror court, moved the court early this month seeking parity with Sidhu, whose conviction in a case of unintentional killing was stayed by the apex court in 2007 to enable him contest elections.
As per electoral laws, a person convicted for a criminal offence and sentenced to jail for more than two years is barred from running for elections.
- Verdict reserved on Sanjay Dutt's plea for suspension of conviction (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt's electoral dream crashes, cannot contest polls (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2009
- CBI's stand sought on Dutt's plea for suspending conviction (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt seeks suspension of conviction to fight elections (Lead) - Mar 05, 2009
- Sanjay can't contest, apex court dismisses plea (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Congress says it may contest Lucknow seat - Mar 31, 2009
- CBI seeking legal opinion on Dutt's plea in Supreme Court - Mar 26, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt moves apex court for nod to contest polls - Mar 05, 2009
- Apex court seeks centre, CBI's stand on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 06, 2009
- Supreme Court foils underworld don's plan to contest polls - Mar 04, 2009
- Knocking on courts' doors to open way to general elections - Mar 07, 2009
- Babloo Srivastava moves apex court to contest election - Feb 19, 2009
- Munnabhai banned from Lok Sabha Elections - Mar 31, 2009
- Supreme Court rejects plea against Sanjay Dutt - Jul 04, 2011
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, bench, bollywood star, chief justice, contest elections, conviction, criminal case, criminal offence, electoral laws, general elections, k g balakrishnan, New Delhi, parity, parliamentarian, plea, sanjay dutt, sidhu, six years, supreme court