Supreme Court to hear plea seeking judicial probe against ThackerayNovember 5th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 5 (IANS) The Supreme Court will hear a petition seeking a judicial probe into the killing of two youngsters from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh in Maharashtra last week amid a “hate campaign” launched by Raj Thackeray’s Maharashta Navnirman Sena (MNS).Sanjeev Kumar Singh, an advocate, Wednesday filed the public interest petition and sought the court’s direction for providing security to people from north India staying in Maharashtra.
He said the central and state governments had failed to take proper action against those instrumental in propagating the “hate campaign” against people from outside the state.
The petitioner sought a judicial inquiry into the killings of Rahul Raj from Patna and Dharam Dev Rai of Gorakhpur alleging there was a total failure of the constitutional machinery in Maharashtra.
Raj, 25, was killed in a shootout with police in Mumbai Oct 27. A day later Rai, 25, was beaten to death in a suburban train near Mumbai.
Blaming Thackeray and his supporters for attacks on north Indians in the state, Singh pleaded that the bail granted last month to the MNS chief be cancelled and he should be prosecuted under the National Security Act.
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Barred from Shivaji Park, MNS threatens street rally - Feb 03, 2012
- Raj Thackeray gets bail in rioting cases, hours after surrender - Feb 25, 2010
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- Modi ignores Uddhav, says Raj - Sep 21, 2011
- Raj Thackeray gets bail - Feb 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- World's shortest woman joins Raj Thackeray's party - May 09, 2012
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Munde failed to clinch good offer from Congress: Raj Thackeray - Jun 23, 2011
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012