Supreme Court notice to CBI on Jagan’s bail plea (Lead)August 9th, 2012 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday issued notice to the CBI on jailed YSR Congress Party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy’s bail application in an illegal assets case, but rejected his plea challenging his arrest.
The Lok Sabha member from Kadapa constituency in Andhra Pradesh, who is popularly known as Jagan was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) May 27.
An apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai was hearing Jagan’s plea challenging the denial of bail by the Andhra Pradesh High Court last month.
The high court while rejecting his bail plea expressed fears that he may influence witnesses if allowed to leave jail.
Appearing for Jagan, senior counsel Ram Jethmalani told the court that both the high court and the trial court had ignored the principles of bail as set out by the apex court.
He said merely because Jaganmohan Reddy was in public life and enjoyed certain position could not be a ground for depriving him of his liberty.
Jethmalani said that both the trial court and the high court ignored the principles while denying bail to the MP.
This is the second time that Jagan has moved the top court for bail. His bail plea filed July 9 was withdrawn July 23.
While withdrawing the earlier bail plea, Jethmalani told the court that his client would file a fresh plea with modifications.
- Jagan facing charges in three cases, CBI tells SC - Sep 14, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to CBI on Jagan's bail plea - Aug 09, 2012
- Court reserves order on Jagan bail plea - Jun 28, 2012
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Jagan's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- CBI files second charge sheet in Jagan assets case - Apr 23, 2012
- Apex court rejects Jagan's plea against CBI probe (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Hearing on Jagan's bail plea adjourned to May 31 - May 29, 2012
- High court refuses to cancel Jagan aide's bail (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Andhra high court cancels Jagan aide's bail - Apr 20, 2012
- Jagan judicial custody extended till July 4 - Jun 25, 2012
- CBI seeks another three-day custody of Jagan - Jun 07, 2012
- Court refuses anticipatory bail to Jagan - May 24, 2012
- Jagan's judicial custody extended, complains of 'insult' (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: aftab, alam, andhra pradesh high court, apex, apex court, bail plea, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress party, constituency, court bench, desai, jagan, lok sabha member, party leader, prakash, ram jethmalani, ranjana, senior counsel, trial court