Supreme Court declines to stop Mayawati’s statue spree (Lead)July 10th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday refused to restrain the Uttar Pradesh government from installing statues of its Chief Minister Mayawati, her political mentor late Kanshi Ram and the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party’s (BSP) election symbol - the elephant.
A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice P. Sathasivam said it would not intervene into the matter.
“How can we intervene into the matter, when it has been approved by the the cabinet?” posed the bench, refusing to entertain a plea to restrain the Uttar Pradesh government from installing statues all over the state.
“We can intervene only if there are allegations of corruption or misappropriation of funds,” said the bench, refusing to pass any prompt order on an interim application by Delhi-based advocate Ravi Kant, who wanted the court to at least stop the state government from installing statues in a Noida park on the Yamuna riverbed.
Ravi Kant made an interim plea pending the outcome on another lawsuit accusing waste of public money by the state government in installing statues largely of Mayawati and her political mentor Kanshi Ram.
Quoting information, procured under Right to Information Act, Ravi Kant told the court that installation of statues in Noida park alone is going to cost over Rs.1.87 billion.
He said the central plaza within the Noida park is to have an 18 feet tall statue of Mayawati, while there are plans also for statues of Kanshi Ram and B.R. Ambedkar.
Ravi Kant contended that the state government is set to spend over Rs.20 billion from the state exchequer to install these statues to further her partisan interests.
- SC refuses to intervene in Mayawati statue installation case - Jul 10, 2009
- Lawyers urge poll panel to act against Mayawati - Jul 17, 2009
- Mayawati demands Rs 27 crore for new statues - Aug 03, 2009
- Supreme Court panel inspects Mayawati's park project in Noida - Aug 06, 2009
- Supreme Court no to stopping Mayawati from statue spree - Jul 10, 2009
- Lawsuit seeks derecognition of political parties - Mar 10, 2010
- Centre seeks explanation from Mayawati on Noida park project - Jul 11, 2009
- Court seeks environment report on statues in Noida park - Apr 22, 2010
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Court asks Mayawati to explain use of public money for statues - Jun 29, 2009
- Thousands of stone carvers helped create Mayawati's dream project - Oct 15, 2011
- Mayawati flays poll panel for draping statues (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Lucknow painted blue for Kanshi Ram's birth anniversary - Mar 14, 2011
- Government keeps off Mayawati's Noida park project - Oct 23, 2009
- High court allows Mayawati government to chop over 200 trees - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: b r ambedkar, bsp, chief justice, chief minister, election symbol, k g balakrishnan, kanshi ram, misappropriation of funds, partisan interests, political mentor, public money, ravi, right to information act, rs 1, samaj, state exchequer, state government, statues, uttar pradesh government, yamuna